1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Update to nougat on my 6p

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ranger John, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Ranger John

Ranger John Lurker

Only had my 6p a short while. In all my reading, I see that the latest version is nougat. My version is 6.0. I have tried the system update and it says I am up to date. Is the phone going to update to the latest version. My son's 6p has already updated. :thinking:

John

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Hi John,

Could you go to Settings > About phone and tell me what it shows for Build number? That will let me know the exact version that you're currently on.

What carrier are you using the phone on? You might try turning off the phone, removing the SIM, turning it back on, connecting to WiFi, and seeing if it's able to see updates then.

3. Ranger John

Ranger John Lurker

Build number is MMB29M. I have the google project fi plan.

4. codesplice

Oh wow, that's a really old build. Definitely see if you can pull an update without a SIM installed; otherwise you may need to manually sideload an OTA image.

5. Ranger John

Ranger John Lurker

Will it eventually update thru system update on the 6p. The reason I ask is that my last phone was a tracfone. It was a smartphone. I am a little hesitant doing this kind of stuff because I don't want to mess the phone up. To do the sim card thing you suggested, do I just use the removal tool, take the sim out and try a system update??

6. codesplice

Do you have the phone connected to a WiFi network with internet access? Updates won't always pull down automatically over mobile data.
    If it's been connected to WiFi for a while and checking for a system update still doesn't return a result, either the carrier isn't pushing the update for one reason or another or it's somehow fallen off the update server.
    If the issue is the carrier, booting up the phone without a SIM installed and connecting to WiFi may help.
    If it's fallen off the update server, you can sometimes prod it along by performing a factory reset (which will erase all your data so please make a backup first) or sideloading an OTA (which will preserve your data but will require working at a command line).
    And yes, just turn off the phone and use the removal tool to eject the SIM. Then turn it back on, connect to WiFi, and try to check for updates.

7. Ranger John

Ranger John Lurker

OK the sim card removal did not produce an update. Says it's up to date. Yes, it's connected to my router and I am connected to the internet. I'll wait it out for a week or 2 then contact the folks at project fi.

codesplice likes this.

Nexus 6P Forum

The Nexus 6P release date was September 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 12MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 810 processor, and 3450mAh battery.

September 2015
Release Date
Reviews