1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Update to nougat

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Abbyying, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Abbyying

Abbyying Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2012
    I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 which is currently running on marshmallow. When I click on system updates it's giving me a bunch of smaller updates but not one to nougat. It seems like the phone is stuck on whatever update it had when it first came out. Do I have to download every update since 2015 before I can update it to nougat? Is there a way to go straight to the most current download version

Advertisement

2. frosthax1

frosthax1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Male
    Modding Guru
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Your carrier may or may not have done the update yet.its up to the carriers usually.i know the note 5 has been updated end of may but that started in Europe.tmobiles also got the update.unsure about the other carriers though.you can try connecting to wifi to see if it pops up faster.that's usually recommended anyways as its a huge update.i know with metro pcs i waited months after until it showed on my lg stylo 2 plus.good luck.hope all gets sorted

3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Over the air updates are not usually full firmware downloads, but patches that update part of the system. Therefore you do have to install them in order, since each is designed to update starting from the previous one.

To jump directly you need to completely reflash the firmware (i.e. overwrite everything). You can find complete firmware files at sammobile.com. You will need to know your exact model number (not just "Note 5"), and you'll need a PC to perform the update and some software (I think Odin rather than Kies, but am not a Samsung expert) - if the site doesn't tell you, someone here will know.

I'd back up before doing this.

frosthax1 likes this.
  4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Abbying, what cell provider are you using?

Samsung Galaxy Note 5

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 was released in August of 2015 and was the company's flagship phablet for the year. The device features a 5.66-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 16MP main camera.