• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update today?

Same, and it's a big one too. Yanking the update zip off my phone to take a peek now, I'll toss a download up shortly for anyone who's better at this stuff than I am, in case their devices haven't gotten it yet.

EDIT: After looking around it seems others have already posted the update.
If you are rooted and wish to stay rooted, it would be a bad idea to install the ZV4 update, it patches towelroot's method. You will not be able to root with towelroot.

Appears to be the same kernel version, it's also still Android 4.4.2.

Upvote 0
I also got this update today but my girlfriend has got it. Our phones were bought the same time. we both are still running the same stuff. I am rooted but she is not. Like I said I got the update today and she did not. I don't really wanna install this update if I am going to loose root. I know we don't have a working flash recovery yet, but I am hopeful that we will.

Where is this update saved to once it has been downloaded? I have looked through my phone and can't find it. It says is it downloaded and ready for install.

I wanna wait till she gets the update and installs it so i can compare the 2 phones to see if it did anything to it.

Upvote 0
bg4m3r said:
Originally Posted by nickabbasi1

Probably a silly question, but, explicity, which app is this?

There's 3 apps. Apps Update, Software Update and Update Center. I wouldn't delete them though, just freeze them.

I had those 3 apps frozen on my phone (they're still frozen in Titanium Backup) & I still get the update message...

Upvote 0
I had those 3 apps frozen on my phone (they're still frozen in Titanium Backup) & I still get the update message...

Are you referring to the message in the windowshade? If you long-press that update message in Android's windowshade, then press App Info, you should see the message is coming from Google Play Services.

I think I was able to suppress it by running the "Disable Service" app (cn.wq.disableservice), and unchecking its System Apps > Google Play Services > SystemUpdateService checkbox. After rebooting, I haven't seen an alert, but it might be too soon to party.

Upvote 0
Yea, same here. How can I get rid of this?

Edit: Found it here, at least
IiUBk0N

Edit 2: Used gravitybox to disable ongoing notifications from Google play services, working so far

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones