• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update! Who's going to try it first?

I think I may have a full Titanium Backup of the Commando if you still need it.

I haven't been able to install the new update either, as I have a rooted commando with some of the crap taken off of it. I suppose I'll just have to reinstall everything and start from scratch to get it?

Anybody else have any luck getting the update with a rooted commando with or without all of the files?

It's as though the update software is looking to make sure things are just as they are supposed to be.

I wonder if those who only "froze" apps are able to update, and we who uninstalled apps are not able to update; because many of us may not have had Titanium settings correct?

I noticed that in the "Preferences" menu, there is a selection called "Restore Backups to....".
Mine was set to "Default location(chosen by Android).
The second choice: "Original location" might be a better choice.

Just thinking....it may not help.

I still have a copy of my original Titanium backup on a spare SD card....made this before I changed anything.

Upvote 0
No dice. I unrooted, everything is as it was from the factory, and the update will not install.

Verizon is sending me a refurbished phone which they say "should" already have the update on it (ha, not likely). They said if it doesn't work on the refurb phone either, I can keep mine and send the refurb back.

Upvote 0
i was able to update, but it was a strange update, i allready posted in the rooted area but might as well post a more elaborate post where everyone is really looking.

me and my dad have the same phone so after he updated his phone i checked it out to see if it was worth the hastle of trying to update, checked it out and i said what the hell lets do it. so i tried updating while i was rooted to see waht would happen and it downloaded but when it tried to install it gave me a symbol of an andoid with an explamation mark next to his head. not sure what that was but what ever. pulled the battery and it loaded back up so i unfroze all the crap i had, i DID NOT uninstall anything, everything was frozen. i unfroze and tried again, blah fail, then i reverted my adfree hosts back to original, still nothing, after going through all the root apps, and going back to default settings, i went into super user and denyed all root acess to apps, tried again and fail. so i just went on soc unrooted and all is good and starts installing! sweet right? well after it installs it rebooted and durring the verizon loading screen it freezes or boot loop, so after 30 mins of it sitting on the screen i pulled the battery, and tried again, and it loaded to the new GB. so this is my unrooting experience and iv had no issues so far, im a little scared to re root it as of now.

Upvote 0
I'm unrooted so don't have those issues and liking the update as it seems quite a bit smoother over all. I have noticed worse battery life so far tho. Not sure if it's the new GB or if it's the "launcher pro" I installed about the same time. Does anyone have any experience with LP as to battery life, and also if possible can anyone comment on the LP unlocker? It seems the reviews are kind of mixed on the unlocker while everyone seems to love the free launcher pro as I do. Awesome app. I hate to dump launcher pro but might to improve the already shaky battery life. I was really hoping the GB update would help out with power optimizations a little better. TIA

Upvote 0
Could be like the Droid X. A friend of mine has one I had rooted for him. He updated it to 2.3 and brought it back for me to "fix" again. I never could get it to root and after some internet searching it would have to be rolled back to the previous version to do so. My friend was not interested in me using one of the software utilities available on the internet that you can do that with so he's just doing without.

With the commando there are no factory tools to be found in cyber space, and no usable recovery so if it's not rootable, you'll be stuck with it.

Upvote 0
I was using an app called "fast reboot" before to clean up memory. When I click it now it always says 0%, meaning nothing there to clean. Previously it would shut down everything with some stuff restarting of course and clear alot of MB's. So does this mean it's not neccessary anymore with the GB OS because it self cleans or maybe the app just doesn't work with GB. Phones running fantastic, better than it ever has. I have no complaints.:)

Upvote 0
The update went smooth on my unrooted phone. I was hoping with the update that the new keyboard would be a "Gingerbread" keyboard. I would like to be able to text via swiping and using voice. Right now if I want to swipe, I have to use the stock keyboard. If I want to use voice to text, I have to select input method and change to the gingerbread keyboard I downloaded from the market. Does anyone know of a good keyboard that will allow both?

Upvote 0
My phone is rooted, I tried the update (twice) without changing anything and failed. Had the crapware deleted off it, but backed up with titanium. Restored everything, deleted all my "root" apps, and tried it again (twice). Still failed...
Now Im waiting for my phone to do a factory reset. Hope that fixes it.
On a side note, I rooted with superoneclick and now, it doesnt recognize my phone to unroot..

Edit:
Got the system restore done, tried it again and still failed.
And once again, superoneclick doesnt see my phone to unroot it.

Upvote 0
faster boot are among the benefits.
Me coming to commando by way of BB, I do chuckle when I hear comments about boot times. My unrooted comando boots up like lightening, seemingly anyway. I have no boot time complaints as it takes a minute at most.
I would like to get rid of stuff tho. When I used winmo devices I was always reROMing it usually weekly at least and never had issues. I'm a tad concerned with the root process and one misstep bricking my phone. I know there are info threads around, but still it's a concern for us root noobs. A step by step hand holding process is really needed for someone who's never attempted it before. Then once done we'd most likely look back and go sheesh! That was easy. But crossing the line the first time is hard. A bricked winmo phone could 99% of the time be brought back to life, not so with android then? Nobody wants to brick it. I'm just getting tired of all the constant app update notices I get like NFL, that I never use anyway. Maybe I'll get my nerve back when my commando gets more miles on it. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones