1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

update.zip method vs nandroid backup?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iamloco724, Feb 24, 2010.

1. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    is there one method that better then the other when installing a rom that has the choice of both?

and with update.zip method could you still wipe your data before hand to start clean?

Advertisement

2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Wiping your data before using the update.zip method seems to be a bit self-defeating. NOT having to wipe data is THEE reason for the update.zip method.

3. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    alright was just curious..and thats really the only difference is that one benefit?

4. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Depending ofcourse. It's better to have a clean bill of health then have problems after the update. Also if going to 2.1 or going back down to 2.0.1 then its better to nandroid restore eh. I prefer using the update.zip if its just upgrading to a new version of that rom but if jumping from one rom to another or going to 2.1 i recommend a Nandroid check-up.

5. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Well, no. There are other benefits to the nandroid restore method. When performing a nandroid "restore", you have the option of which part of the DROID you want to restore. To confuse things, it is entirely possible to do a nandroid restore but uncheck the /data partition, thus emulating the update.zip method somewhat.

I almost always use the nandroid restore method. I like options.

6. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Sales Rep
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've used the update.zip method over a dozen times and had no problems. I used the nandroid method with a wipe only when I installed a 2.1 rom. I had to do another nandroid to go back to a 2.0.1 rom. Other than that it's been all update.zip.

Pete, of Bugless Beast fame, has both methods and recommends neither over the other, as far as I've seen. There are a couple of devs that only do nandroid and they do recommend doing a wipe before each install and then nandroid/data to get your data back.

So, pick the one you like and go with it.

7. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    yeah nandroid cleans the system up, deletes stuff, update.zip does the opposite

8. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Sales Rep
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Very respectfully disagree with the second half of this statement. Update.zip does nothing to "dirty up" the system. I replaces one rom with another rom. Nothing more, nothing less.