• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Updated 11-20-12][BOOTLOADER][Windows][VS920]Bootloader Pwnage Tool for the LG Spectrum 4G

Has anyone tryed this on the lucid yet??
This has been proven to brick the lucid. One fellow had to get his lucid replaced because he didn't listen. Even if it didn't brick it, the kernel is not compatible with the lucid in that you have a different screen resolution/display that is not supported by our kernel. It's why no unlock method has been put out yet for the lucid.

Upvote 0
The root works, but I don't know if they changed anything critical in the boot.img that would cause issues. You can try it, and worse case scenario is that you'd need to boot into CWM with the button method if the stock ICS doesn't work.

It works fine.

I used it to unlock again after I cab flashed v8 and rebooted to CWM with reboot recovery from shell.

I keep getting a failed message when the script tries to verify the md5 sum. I've downloaded the deal 3 times and still the same thing. Any advise??

Did you follow the directions and extract all the files in their exact file/folder structure from the zip? If you move any of the files around, the script will fail.

READ_ME_FIRST.txt said:
EXTRACT THE BOOTLOADER FOLDER AS IS TO YOUR DESIRED LOCATION (PLEASE KEEP THE BOOTLOADER NAMED AS IT IS! DO NOT JUST PULL THE CONTENTS OUT OF IT!)

Upvote 0
I rooted this way and it worked. then I went and got rom manager and flashed cwm and then when I went to reboot into recovery and SU closed unexpectedly right before reboot. then I got the "fastboot fastboot long time no see". then I had to flash the cab again. I got the ota for zv8 by the way. I've had this happen to me twice now.

you'd think you would have learned your lesson after the first time. :p

Using Rom manager to flash CWM is not the proper way to do it with this phone.

this will fix you Flashing LG signed Firmware - LG Spectrum - RootzWiki

Upvote 0
gah, maybe i shouldnt of taken ZV8 then..
I cannot install CWM on mine with the pwnage tool however rooting works..
it just stops after pushing..

boot_nowallpaper.img.md5

I can assure you that this tool works with v8. If it's not... I'm sorry but it's on your end. Unless your on a Mac. That's been reported to be an issue a few times now.

Perhaps if you provide some details of your setup someone may be able to help.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm a bit of a noob here, so I am going to apologize in advance for any noobiness and/or stupid questions according to the "rooters."
So I've done some research on rooting as my LG Spectrum has become unbearably slow, so I decided to root using the bootloader pwnage tool because I had already updated my Spectrum with ICS.
Last night, I successfully rooted my phone using the tool (or so I think). Superuser was added to my phone and I downloaded titanium backup to make a backup.
From what I read, it seems like the root tool should automatically install clockworkmod, right? Does it not say that the tool does that?
Because after rooting, I could not find cwm anywhere on my phone. I found it in the playstore but am wary to download it as I have read in some places that cwm will brick my rooted spectrum. Is this true? A few of the replies in this thread make me believe that you guys DO have cwm on your phone? So if you can have cwm, am I supposed to have it? I want to be able to install some custom ROMS (like jelly bean) on my spectrum and it seems like I need cwm to do so. Can any of you guys help point a noob in the right direction by telling me if and how I can get cwm?
Thanks so much!
-Chris4544

Upvote 0
If I remember correctly from power off, hold the power and vol - buttons until the lg reset screen pops up, then tap the power button several times to confirm and then it should boot into CWM.

CWMR isnt a app you'll see on your phone, its a custom recovery that replace the stock one.

Unfortunately LG has their crap we have to see b4 it will boot into it. The spectrum isnt the only one that has this, but with cwm installed it wont wipe data. ;)

And its perfectly fine to install cwm via rom manager if you so choose too. ;)

Upvote 0
From what I read, it seems like the root tool should automatically install clockworkmod, right? Does it not say that the tool does that?
Because after rooting, I could not find cwm anywhere on my phone. I found it in the playstore but am wary to download it as I have read in some places that cwm will brick my rooted spectrum. Is this true? A few of the replies in this thread make me believe that you guys DO have cwm on your phone? So if you can have cwm, am I supposed to have it? I want to be able to install some custom ROMS (like jelly bean) on my spectrum and it seems like I need cwm to do so. Can any of you guys help point a noob in the right direction by telling me if and how I can get cwm?
Thanks so much!
-Chris4544

Yes, the tool installs it, you have to run it twice, first time to root, second time to unlock boot loader and install CWM. Do NOT install CWM from the play store!

It will not show up on your phone like other apps, you have to reboot into recovery, which you can do from the Titanium Backup menu.

If you want to install custom ROMs you have to have it. CWM does not brick this phone, trying to install it wrong or use ROMs/Mods not intended for this phone are how people brick it.

Reactions: Bestnugz
Upvote 0
Yes, the tool installs it, you have to run it twice, first time to root, second time to unlock boot loader and install CWM. Do NOT install CWM from the play store!

It will not show up on your phone like other apps, you have to reboot into recovery, which you can do from the Titanium Backup menu.

If you want to install custom ROMs you have to have it. CWM does not brick this phone, trying to install it wrong or use ROMs/Mods not intended for this phone are how people brick it.

installing CWM from ROM Manager is perfectly fine. Not needed since hes running the pawnage tool tho.

Reactions: Bestnugz
Upvote 0
Thanks Nokoko and PlayfulGod..
It's nice to see a fellow North Georgian (bout an hour north of atl) on the forums, glad to know I'm not dealing with some excelsior type dude living in his man cave from Sacramento, haha.
Anyway, will I be okay if I rerun the pwnage tool?
I'm thinking I will, except for when it asks if I'm rooted, say yes, correct?
Then, should it unlock the bootloader and install cwm?

on a side note, I'm guessing that's why the tool asked to root again after saying it successfully rooted, huh?
I figured I had all this down cuz I jailbroke my iphone, guess droid "ain't for the lighthearted" :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones