• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UPDATED 11/23/12: {([ROM])} Android World Order! !OVERCLOCKED 2.3.6!

[QUOTE=Spz0;5215756]Actually on these phones ext3 is the best fs. Most benefits of ext4 but no journaling faster.

If I still had my admire I'd probably be working on an ext3 kernel to replace my ext4 one you're using in this rom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2.

I believe somewhere I was reading an argument about these file system formats. Aparently there is a script that can turn off journaling when using ext4 . I wish I had bookmarked it.[/QUOTE]
the app to turn off journaling is S2E(SIMPLE2EXT).you can get it free from play store.

Upvote 0
Try it again. I had to reload the page three or four times before I got my download to complete.... Also, 2Gig might be uploading the changed file, or something.

Apparently I cannot read my FAT32 partitioned SD card. Busybox, when ran from the terminal, doesn't even show it, even though it's mounted... Tried to manually set up the partition to use Link2SD instead, but Mini Partition damaged the file system on the card..... I know I need two partitions to use this stuff, so how do I make it happen?

I had the same problem. I backed up my SD card and then tried to resize the main partition to make a second one, like the guide said, and after resizing it said I can't create a new partition without deleting the other ones. When I COULD get two partitions on there it corrupted my card and I had to finagle it to get it to read in my phone again, after which I said eff it and just put my stuff back on it and called it a day, but now I can't download anything new because of low storage space. Granted I could probably get rid of Angry Birds Rio and free up 30Mb, but I would hate to start all over, lol.

If you figure out how to get Link2SD to work, let me know, I need it bad :)

Upvote 0
Aren't you supposed to partition the sd card using CWM?

Now that I think about it, I can't remember how I did it the first time. I know you can format the partition, but I am not sure about creating it, and I can't find a good guide to show me how to do it. I even tried other apps to move/link stuff to the SD card but it seems like all of them only take you to the app settings to move it that way, and you really don't need an app to do that, its already an option, however it doesn't work, it still takes up the same amount of internal storage.

Upvote 0
Well i use minitool partition wizard. Well that's if you wanna be specific about how much space your 2nd partition has. Cwm is just simpler.

Yeah, I just found that option in CWM, I think thats what I did last time. I tried partitioning in MiniTool but it keeps telling me that it can't create a partition unless all others are deleted. Not sure how thats supposed to work but whatever. I used CWM to make a 2Gb partition and now Link2SD is working beautifully. However, its mounted as EXT2 and won't let me change it to EXT4 o_O

Upvote 0
All i did was go into CWM and have it make a 2048Mb partition with a 128Mb swap and a few minutes later it was done. I went into Link2SD and it was already good to go, just had to link my apps. Only problem is it won't let me change it from EXT2 to EXT4, not sure why

just curious why you have swap if its not supported on this phones kernel . A waste of 128 MB

Upvote 0
OK, I thought that that's all I needed. LINK2SD doesn't support using anything other than ext2 for some reason. It would create the second partition if I did the first with CWM, but when it created the link, it wouldn't automatically mount, and it wouldn't let me mount via terminal.
So, in short:
Backup your stuff.
Format your card with CWM (latest version)
Reboot and open LINK2SD
Choose ext2 and reboot
Enjoy the awesome

Sent from 2Gig's Almighty Potato v1.2.9

Upvote 0
OK, I thought that that's all I needed. LINK2SD doesn't support using anything other than ext2 for some reason. It would create the second partition if I did the first with CWM, but when it created the link, it wouldn't automatically mount, and it wouldn't let me mount via terminal.
So, in short:
Backup your stuff.
Format your card with CWM (latest version)
Reboot and open LINK2SD
Choose ext2 and reboot
Enjoy the awesome

Well i can use ext3 no problem so thats weird

Reactions: DaemeonZane
Upvote 0
Well i can use ext3 no problem so thats weird

I used to use EXT4 all the time before, but now I can only use EXT2. Oh well, anything is better then having no storage space. lol

I did notice, however, that the apps will create links automatically but I have to restart my phone to see the difference in the Storage settings.

Pff, technology >.<

Reactions: DaemeonZane
Upvote 0
@Kage: what did you do though? In app I can't get Jack but ext2 to work....

Nothing special my sdcard has been pre-partioned with ext3 for a while. I just downloaded link2sd, chose ext3, rebooted and i had no problems. Well the first time it force closed but after a reboot it was fine. I used minitool partion wizard so i dont know maybe thats why?

Upvote 0
For those curious about stopping ext4 journaling xda has a big script package. I think its v6 supercharger . Its a nice assortment of scripts. This is from journaling script. #!/system/bin/sh

tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /block/path/to/system
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /block/path/to/system
tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /block/path/to/cache
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /block/path/to/cache
tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /block/path/to/data
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /block/path/to/data

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones