• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UPDATED *** 8-12-12 ***Rooted OTA (2.11.605.19) Files

Upvote 0
I had the same issue when I woke up yesterday. This is what i did. I am also new at rooting but with reading on here I got the phone working.

First thing I did was clear the cache.

Then when the phone booted up and it asked me to update, I rejected.

I downloaded MyBackupPro from App store ($2.99) and backed up my phone's apps and data on the net.

I copied all my pictures and videos to my computer.

Idownloaded ROM Manager from AppStor, was free, to flash the ROM.

I used this tutorial from youtube on how to flash the rom.
How to Install Custom Roms Onto The HTC Thunderbolt - YouTube
I used the second method that starts at 2:22.

The ROM I used is the one that Jrocker23 provided from his website:
**UPDATED 12-19-2011** Ginger BreadRock V3.0 & 3.1 AVAILABLE NOW - HTC Thunderbolt

Jrocker23 has2 ROMS, a full rooted version of the update Version3.0 or a stripped down rooted version with no Verizon crapware Version3.1 (that's the one I used).

After the new V3.1 was installed. i downloaded the new radios (also from JRocker23 website) and used this youtube video on how to install them
How To Flash Radios To The HTC Thunderbolt - YouTube

After that I had a workingTB with the new updates. The phone was like new and everything was wiped. I redownloaed the MybackupPro APP and restored all my Apps and data that I had saved earlier and bam, everything is good to go. Thanks JRocker23 for the ROM and radio. :D

Upvote 0
get root explore from the market. then open it and llok for a folder called cache. In there will be a folder called fumo, and in fumo might be the ota update file, delete it. then go to the folder etc/security and rename the otacerts.zip file to otacerts.zip.bak

Jrocker23 - I have the same issue as nk00, the VZW .9 update has been downloaded and the install deferred. I installed your debloated ROM and new radio - thanks for those everything seems to be working great - tried re-wiping the cache partition and davick cache after the rom install, but this does not remove the impending install (at least as shown in menu-settings-Software update-install deferred sw). I was able to find and rename the otacerts.zip file as you suggested, but I cannot locate the "fumo" folder. Is there another location for that folder, or what is the name of the file that needs to be deleted so i can search for that, I cannot search for the folder name. Thanks for your assistance.

New Info: I took Digdug1's suggestion and through CWR wiped the partition and dalvik caches and reflashed your rom, but that did not solve the problem either. I will note that after changing the name of the otacerts file the phone boots faster/clears the TB splash screen faster.

Upvote 0
I understand how installing a rooted OTA 2.11.605.9 will prevent a VZW OTA update for this 2.11.605.9 versin but what happens when VZW pushes a n even newer version. Is there a way to prevent or permanently defer future OTA updates? now that I am rooted I do not want to lose root, but I am not yet into custom ROMS (if those prevent OTA updates).

Upvote 0
I understand how installing a rooted OTA 2.11.605.9 will prevent a VZW OTA update for this 2.11.605.9 versin but what happens when VZW pushes a n even newer version. Is there a way to prevent or permanently defer future OTA updates? now that I am rooted I do not want to lose root, but I am not yet into custom ROMS (if those prevent OTA updates).

use root explorer to find the file otcerts.zip and rename to otcerts.bak

Upvote 0
Thanks jrocker23.

A related question. I see there are two versions of the rooted 2.11.605.9 update. One is stock and the other is without all VZW's bloatware apps (except one).

Is there a way to pick and choose which VZW's just using root explorer (without flashing a new update) and just renaming the app(s) i don't want similar to renaming otacerts.zip, such as the golf program?

Upvote 0
Thanks jrocker23.

A related question. I see there are two versions of the rooted 2.11.605.9 update. One is stock and the other is without all VZW's bloatware apps (except one).

Is there a way to pick and choose which VZW's just using root explorer (without flashing a new update) and just renaming the app(s) i don't want similar to renaming otacerts.zip, such as the golf program?

You can install the full version, then use titanium backup to back up all apps u dont want and then delete them. If you want the app again, just restore the back up....

Upvote 0
Newb to rooting, but I rooted my TB lastnight with your GingerBread Rock V3.1.2.11.605.9. Updated my radio as well. Only problem I am having now is that I can't seem to find the otcerts.zip file in my root explorer anywhere. I would like to make it where it won't update when they push another OTA. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Newb to rooting, but I rooted my TB lastnight with your GingerBread Rock V3.1.2.11.605.9. Updated my radio as well. Only problem I am having now is that I can't seem to find the otcerts.zip file in my root explorer anywhere. I would like to make it where it won't update when they push another OTA. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Yoru dont have anything to worry about. You wont get the update and if u did, it will fail. if you do get prompted, just search for otacerts.zip again and rename it otacerts.bak

Reactions: hackler22s
Upvote 0
I just used the radio file and the debloated rom that you put up and did everything successfully. The only problem is, now I have no wifi. Whenever I try to click wifi on, it says error. Is there a fix for this?

- EDIT - Sorry, nevermind, I have no idea but it just started working on its own randomly. Sorry for post.

No problem, glad its working. If u have anymore issues (hopefully not :) ), just let me know

Upvote 0
So if i have an unrooted .9 image I can just download the file rename it to PG05IMG and place it on the root of the SD card and install it from the bootloader without any other effort?

or

Do I have to roll back to an older image and root it then apply the file?

You have to roll back to .5 and root your phone & install clockwork recovery (or any recovery you like) then flash one of the above files in recovery

Reactions: tgfdroid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones