• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [UPDATED 8/8/12]Breath of fresh air....an update

If consider if death can offer compensation to cyanogen mod developers for consultation on the spectrum. Over at cyanogen mod forums they've not responded at all to deaths post from what I understand.
The community will need to raise funds if we can get someone to be interested.
What do you'all think?
Or just wait for the OTA to drop?

Upvote 0
We can't get ANY non-stock rom to boot, so cm7 and cm9 aren't going to happen... For now. There's a chance the ota will allow cm9 to flash, but if not, we'll need people who are hard core coders to rip the phone files apart to see why the phone won't boot these roms, when the same techniques to make a rom on other devices always works.

The fact that we can't get cm7 to boot on a device with a gb stock rom is a big issue.

Upvote 0
Right you are its a big issue, also though we've had good developers working on this device the sheer brute numbers of developers such as work on galaxy nexus are missing and that may help crack the code. Otherwise been about half way thru device expected course of service life and Verizon is also moving on means we'll all have great backup devices when we get whatever it's we get going forward :)

Upvote 0
The kernel is a 2.6.x kernel, based on a known working configuration. The only difference is genlock is backported to this. and kmsg doesn't know anything. I highly doubt its kernel related.
+1, we not done the extensive backports yet because we dont have a booting base yet. ;)

Reactions: badrsj
Upvote 0
Wikipedia explains all the Nitro variants here.

Downloading the kernel sources now. I hate hate HATE the LG open source download page. :mad: It doesn't work in chrome or firefox on Linux because the download link is chopped off the right margin. I just happen to be doing some phone reprogramming, so I have internet exploder up on my laptop and that seems to work.

Also .. I'm on ZV4. Anyone know if ZV6 is better and if it's compatible or not? I've been largely sheltered from baseband issues so far, as all the basebands on all my phones have been compatible across all kernels. I'd hate to give up a perfect run now. ;)

Finally, note I'm about ready to dig into CM9. Wish me luck ... :)

Upvote 0
Wikipedia explains all the Nitro variants here.

Downloading the kernel sources now. I hate hate HATE the LG open source download page. :mad: It doesn't work in chrome or firefox on Linux because the download link is chopped off the right margin. I just happen to be doing some phone reprogramming, so I have internet exploder up on my laptop and that seems to work.

Also .. I'm on ZV4. Anyone know if ZV6 is better and if it's compatible or not? I've been largely sheltered from baseband issues so far, as all the basebands on all my phones have been compatible across all kernels. I'd hate to give up a perfect run now. ;)

Finally, note I'm about ready to dig into CM9. Wish me luck ... :)
you're doing something wrong then because I have been dl'ing src from LG's site in firefox for over a year now with not one issue lol

Upvote 0
you're doing something wrong then because I have been dl'ing src from LG's site in firefox for over a year now with not one issue lol

Actually it's icedove on Debian. And I have a sparse install with no gnome or kde (I use fluxbox), not many fonts, and such. Maybe the problem has something to do with that. But how f'ing hard can it be to make a download page that renders on all browsers? It's a download page, not a blog. Sheesh.

And it gets better. There's all this javascript crap infesting the page source so you can't just go and pick out a link to download. That would be too easy. No, they've gotta put the actual links in an external script, which makes it not worth the effort. It's easier to pull up the page with winderz or even android, then copy the file over to a real box. :mad:

Upvote 0
Yo tdn for coming on board wit spec, sound like your a G wit all this, so is good to have u.. As for the links I use firefox in backtrack and I've grabbed they files between pentests and from what I know that's a stripped down ubunt I mean even had bro hex edit to make vlc work but im sure by.now u probably resolved it huh..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones