• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root updated root scripts for mac and linux

junkie2100

Android Expert
Mar 11, 2012
i know not everyone uses windows, they should... but they dont lol
but yea here ya go i wrote these for those of you that have an alternate os so you dont get left out on all our fun
http://adf.ly/GjkvG

make sure you chmod a+x or use another method to make the one made for your system executable(not necessary, or possible in windows btw)

and i dont know anything about mac but in linux you will have to sudo both the chmod and the command itself

and i havent really tested them but they should work, so if there is something wrong let me know and i will fix it asap

and btw
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE THAT IS ON YOU
if you do mess something up we can try to help but there are no guarantees
but from what i can tell even if the scripts are flawed it wont hurt the phone
and if you would like me to test them for you and make sure they work feel free to buy me a mac lol

P.S. If someone could let me know for sure whether they work or not that would be wonderful. and the windows version doesnt count, that wasnt modified at all i just left it in there. i just wanna make sure there isnt anything wrong with the linux and mac versions, shouldnt be but ya never know

UPDATE
scripts should be repaired now. stupid me, i forgot to put "
#!/bin/bash" at the top to tell the os what kind of command it was... guess thats what you get for accepting mac and linux scripts from a windows user lol, sorry about that it should work now. still cant test it myself but that seems to be the only error considering it worked from the terminal line by line

Reactions: SuperR
np, i know id be pretty pissed if i couldnt root kuz all i had was a mac, altho even if i had a mac itd probably have windows on it by now as long as it was made after the motorola/intel switch lol. its such a bloated, buggy os but its so simple to use and the software library is sooo much bigger

Upvote 0
but can you run direct x 10 and 11 windows games in linux using a vm? personally i really like skyrim, and i love being able to mod it, so i am forced to use windows for that as far as i know. consoles dont allow me to custom mod, and i dont know of any vm that will run the newest of the new games. yes if i do finally get things set back up for a web/ftp/media server itll run linux no doubt but for general use and gaming i find windows to be the way to go for me
im not exactly an IT professional, that would imply that i have a job lol, my last job was as a pizza delivery guy, getting less than minimum wage most of the time, because i never finished my certifications, i got the OS half of an A+, but that does no good, so im not really looking for server quality stuff im just a rather advanced home user with way too much time on my hands

Upvote 0
no, you can't run the newest games in a vm, that's why you dual-boot (windows7 and ubuntu12.10)...best of both worlds :) There are also some really great wine front-ends now that do a pretty good job with games from what I hear. I am not a pc gamer so this does not affect me. I have a vm and a dual-boot and never use them because there is always a free/opensource app for everything sitting comfortably in my package manager when I need it.

Upvote 0
This may not be the appropriate thread but I am interested to know what software you use that can't be replaced by an opensource alternative. I switched from windows in 2007 and it was challenging at first because, like you said, I was used to it. It did not take long before I realized, most of the opensource software actually does more and faster than the windows variety. The only things I have not been able to accomplish in Linux is watching netflix streaming video (silverlight plugin required), and iTunes. However Banshee and Rhythmbox blow itunes away, so pretty much netflix is it :)

Upvote 0
yea i wont touch itunes with a 10 foot pole, tried it once when someone gave me their old ipod, it was gone by the end of that day, i use mediamonkey. and honestly i dont use netflix i prefer good old torrents and having an abundance of storage space. im working with 4tb in this computer, about 75% full, but i have enough movies and tv shows that if you played every one back to back non stop without repeating anything itd take you over a year lol. my software attachments to windows are things like cdma workshop, that htc evo i have listed in my devices was the first android phone i ever used on my boost account, just dont tell boost that lmao

Upvote 0
Having trouble with the mac version, basically the script executes but throws errors on every line:

Press [Enter] key to start...
--- STARTING ----
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE
chmod: /Users/BP/Desktop/files/adb-mac\r: No such file or directory
--- creating temporary directory
, File existsfor tmp
--- cleaning
, No such file or directory
--- symlinking tmp directory
failed on '/data/local/tmp' - Directory not empty
link failed File exists
--- Rebooting

Any thoughts?

Update 1:

I can reboot the phone manually using adb, the commands in the script don't seem to hit the device. The commands run through the terminal too quick, never pausing for the reboots.

Update 2:

Had to run each command one by one, but it worked! Thanks, I'm now rooted!

Upvote 0
no thats not it... i really dont know dude, it seems fine, apparently the chmod is flawed i dont know why
that \r shouldnt be there
i changed one TINY little thing but i doubt it will help, ya never know tho. you can redownload it if you like and try it but i doubt itll make much difference. i dont know why it wouldnt le

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones