1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Updated to 4.3, now battery is drained by noon

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by omgitsoop, Jul 29, 2013.

1. omgitsoop

omgitsoop Newbie
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    As the title states, my battery is now draining like a mofo. Under the battery usage stats, where normally screen takes 80% of the battery and everything else is in the teens, now android services is getting up to 50%. It seems that android services is a catch-all for a lot of things, so I'm not really sure what is being such a battery suck. Suggestions?

Advertisement

2. waynew73

waynew73 Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2013
    Had the same problem and it seems others are as well. After a lot of trying, I found that it was the new "Scanning Always Available" setting in the WiFi settings. Go to WiFi ==> Settings ==> Advanced and then you'll see the option. I unchecked it permanently (and saved) powered down, and then powered it back up again and it never was a problem again.

I think the feature is constantly pinging WiFi routers and it drains down the battery extremely quickly.

3. gale65

gale65 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 1, 2012
    Female
    indiana
    mine seems to be draining faster too, and that 'scanning always available' was already unchecked.

4. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Use Wakelock Detector app to see what is draining the battery

5. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Check all your sync settings. I've noticed in prior updates that for some reason some of the sync settings were enabled without my input. Especially if they add any new syncs they seemed to be enabled by default.

6. omgitsoop

omgitsoop Newbie
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    Wifi always scanning wasn't checked for me either. At the suggestion of another forum post, I force stopped all location services, deleted google maps and all it's data/cache, then reinstalled it, it seems to have helped. I will install the wakelock detector and see if it shows me anything interesting.

7. omgitsoop

omgitsoop Newbie
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    It helped, my phone isn't dead completely, but I'm still definitely having an issue. Here's how its looking at 1:30. I deleted and reinstalled facebook, field trip, and deleted then reconnected my exchange account, since they are the bigger power hogs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Consider using Facebook in a browser rather than the app. I switched to checking FB on Boat Browser and my battery life and memory space improved. It also loads alot faster.:D

9. Zeinzu

Zeinzu Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 3, 2011
    Battery statistics are useless without the screen on time.

10. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Wakelock detector misses a ton of partial wakelocks. You need a program like better battery stats to see everything.

That said, Google Services at 33% is telling enough. It is almost certainly related to syncing. What syncs do you have enabled under account? You should only sync services that you really need to keep synced. I sync Chrome, contacts, calendar, and gmail. Sometimes I'll turn on music sync but I don't update my music often so I don't really use that sync either. That's it. Anything else I can update as needed. I almost never buy/rent books or movies so there is no point in syncing those. I don't sync my photos either. People details is some sort of syncing related to Google+ so I don't sync that. App data is some sort of data backup which I also don't sync.

Also, apps like Facebook and Google+ have been known to suck battery life.

11. omgitsoop

omgitsoop Newbie
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    So here's my stats after sitting unplugged overnight, with 1 hour 7 minutes screen on time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Ahh. I bet your google backup service is stuck. Happened to me once for 11hrs. After that I turned off backup services and that solved it. Go into settings > backup & reset. Try disabling it and see if the problem goes away. You can re-enable it later but keep an eye on it.

13. omgitsoop

omgitsoop Newbie
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    Turned off backup services, battery has been doing far far better. Tried to turn it back on and it went right back to devouring battery life. Guess I'm just leaving that unchecked for now.

Tags: