• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updated to 4.3, now battery is drained by noon

omgitsoop

Aug 2, 2010
As the title states, my battery is now draining like a mofo. Under the battery usage stats, where normally screen takes 80% of the battery and everything else is in the teens, now android services is getting up to 50%. It seems that android services is a catch-all for a lot of things, so I'm not really sure what is being such a battery suck. Suggestions?

Had the same problem and it seems others are as well. After a lot of trying, I found that it was the new "Scanning Always Available" setting in the WiFi settings. Go to WiFi ==> Settings ==> Advanced and then you'll see the option. I unchecked it permanently (and saved) powered down, and then powered it back up again and it never was a problem again.

I think the feature is constantly pinging WiFi routers and it drains down the battery extremely quickly.

Upvote 0
Wifi always scanning wasn't checked for me either. At the suggestion of another forum post, I force stopped all location services, deleted google maps and all it's data/cache, then reinstalled it, it seems to have helped. I will install the wakelock detector and see if it shows me anything interesting.

Upvote 0
It helped, my phone isn't dead completely, but I'm still definitely having an issue. Here's how its looking at 1:30. I deleted and reinstalled facebook, field trip, and deleted then reconnected my exchange account, since they are the bigger power hogs:

Screenshot_2013-07-30-13-13-42_zps7daec7ef.png

Screenshot_2013-07-30-13-15-04_zps19d5205c.png

Upvote 0
Wakelock detector misses a ton of partial wakelocks. You need a program like better battery stats to see everything.

That said, Google Services at 33% is telling enough. It is almost certainly related to syncing. What syncs do you have enabled under account? You should only sync services that you really need to keep synced. I sync Chrome, contacts, calendar, and gmail. Sometimes I'll turn on music sync but I don't update my music often so I don't really use that sync either. That's it. Anything else I can update as needed. I almost never buy/rent books or movies so there is no point in syncing those. I don't sync my photos either. People details is some sort of syncing related to Google+ so I don't sync that. App data is some sort of data backup which I also don't sync.

Also, apps like Facebook and Google+ have been known to suck battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones