• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updated to 4.67.651.3 Need to Re-Root

NeoRio

Sep 14, 2012
Hello, this is my first post and I just want to start by thanking everybody who spends so much time helping others here with incredible support. I just spent the last 4 hours reading guides and threads on how to root the Evo 4G. I realize it may take me several more days of reading till I'm 100% sure I'm rooting using the right method, so I thought I'd briefly describe what I'm doing and hopefully get pointed in the right direction.

I bought 2 Evo 4G's on eBay a year ago, one for me and one for my wife. Both phones had bad ESN's (which I knew could still be used for flashing to Boost Mobile). I don't know the exact history of the phones other than what the seller told me, that he and his wife ended their Sprint contract and didn't pay the bill...and thus the bad ESN's. I took the phones to a guy who flashed them to Boost Mobile for a price. He rooted them also. They've worked flawlessly for the last year and we're very happy.

Recently, due to looping boot ups (which eventually restricted me from even being able to get my phone to boot into Android), I had to reinstall a ROM on my phone. The guy who flashed the phones (who works at a store) suggested I install the 4.67.651.3 ROM. I installed it with no problems, but an hour later I'm reading a ton of posts suggesting not to install that ROM update. (One thing we don't like very much is that every few days we get the "System Update" message on our phones and we've never been able to take the updates, so we have to repeatedly cancel them...so I thought that by manually doing the 4.67 update, maybe that would make the notifications go away while also updating the phone.)

Anyways, I successfully updated the ROM today (which was fun). I d/l HTC Sync and installed it just to get the driver. I was told I should install HTC Sync and uninstall it...and that the driver would stay. So, the RUU_SuperSonic....4.67 ran and installed with no problems. But now I need to re-root the phone to be able to use wireless tethering and other things. When I boot up into the BootLoader I see

SuperSonic EVT3 Ship S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002

So I was trying to find the right guide to follow based on what I see on my phone. Any suggestions are much appreciated, thank you!

Since I'm here, I might as well throw out a couple other things I've been curious to ask:

• I'm willing to try other ROMs if suggested.
  • I saw an IceCreamSandwich ROM, which sounded like a replica of the real thing, I saw other ROMs too that looked interesting. Are all other ROMs (I guess I mean "non-stock" when I say "other") custom? Is the only ROM that comes with the 4G the Gingerbread? Is there no official ICS or other new Android release that was made for the 4G
  • I would like to try different kernels, especially to be able to use the HDMI out of the phone and hook it up to the TV in our living room. Which Kernel should I use to do this?

Thanks again for your time,
Neo

Hello, this is my first post and I just want to start by thanking everybody who spends so much time helping others here with incredible support. I just spent the last 4 hours reading guides and threads on how to root the Evo 4G. I realize it may take me several more days of reading till I'm 100% sure I'm rooting using the right method, so I thought I'd briefly describe what I'm doing and hopefully get pointed in the right direction.

I bought 2 Evo 4G's on eBay a year ago, one for me and one for my wife. Both phones had bad ESN's (which I knew could still be used for flashing to Boost Mobile). I don't know the exact history of the phones other than what the seller told me, that he and his wife ended their Sprint contract and didn't pay the bill...and thus the bad ESN's. I took the phones to a guy who flashed them to Boost Mobile for a price. He rooted them also. They've worked flawlessly for the last year and we're very happy.

Recently, due to looping boot ups (which eventually restricted me from even being able to get my phone to boot into Android), I had to reinstall a ROM on my phone. The guy who flashed the phones (who works at a store) suggested I install the 4.67.651.3 ROM. I installed it with no problems, but an hour later I'm reading a ton of posts suggesting not to install that ROM update. (One thing we don't like very much is that every few days we get the "System Update" message on our phones and we've never been able to take the updates, so we have to repeatedly cancel them...so I thought that by manually doing the 4.67 update, maybe that would make the notifications go away while also updating the phone.)

Anyways, I successfully updated the ROM today (which was fun). I d/l HTC Sync and installed it just to get the driver. I was told I should install HTC Sync and uninstall it...and that the driver would stay. So, the RUU_SuperSonic....4.67 ran and installed with no problems. But now I need to re-root the phone to be able to use wireless tethering and other things. When I boot up into the BootLoader I see

SuperSonic EVT3 Ship S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002

So I was trying to find the right guide to follow based on what I see on my phone. Any suggestions are much appreciated, thank you!

Since I'm here, I might as well throw out a couple other things I've been curious to ask:

• I'm willing to try other ROMs if suggested.
  • I saw an IceCreamSandwich ROM, which sounded like a replica of the real thing, I saw other ROMs too that looked interesting. Are all other ROMs (I guess I mean "non-stock" when I say "other") custom? Is the only ROM that comes with the 4G the Gingerbread? Is there no official ICS or other new Android release that was made for the 4G
  • I would like to try different kernels, especially to be able to use the HDMI out of the phone and hook it up to the TV in our living room. Which Kernel should I use to do this?

Thanks again for your time,
Neo
Good Evening and welcome!:)
To me, according to your hboot, you are rooted and whomever rooted your phone used revolutionary.
I dont know alot about ruu's, so I can only assume you are on a stock rom but not a rooted stock rom.
Is your phone still on boost?
We can guide you to a custom rom, which all rooted roms are custom, if you desire.
As far as kernels go, it depends on what rom you decide to flash.
And no, no official ICS or JB roms for our Evo's...just roms based off of them.
What is your baseband version...just curious..(radio version)

Edit: oh, and one more thing, what recovery do you have?

Reactions: NeoRio and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Installing recovery:
1.download the file. PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery

Flashing SU:

1)download this and put this file, Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed on the root(not in any folder) of your card via usb cable.
2)Reboot the phone to recovery (get to h-boot and select recovery)
3) select install
4) install from zip
5) find the superuser file and flash it

reboot

Youll probably want to make a nandroid backup after all this

Upvote 0
Reactions: NeoRio
Upvote 0
Wow, thank you guys for your warm welcome and for the great responses...and so fast!

Is your phone still on boost?
Yes. With Shrinkage...down to $40 a month.

And no, no official ICS or JB roms for our Evo's...just roms based off of them.
Gotcha. So GingerBread is the only official ROM that runs on the Evo 4G?

What is your baseband version...just curious..(radio version)
Baseband version: 2.15.00.12.19

RUU puts the stock ROM and recovery on the phone. So he currently has the stock unrooted ROM.
That's what I thought...thanks for clarifying. When I saw S-Off in the BootLoader, I wasn't sure.

All he needs to do is install a recovery and flash the SU file
Perfecto...have yet to use a Recovery. Is SU a SuperUser file? In a nutshell, are there non-SU files?--and what is the difference?

Installing recovery:
1.download the file. PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip.....
Flashing SU:
1)download this and put this file, Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.....
Thanks for these very easy-to-follow instructions. This is just what I needed!

Youll probably want to make a nandroid backup after all this
To do a Nandroid backup, I use a Recovery, right?

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
everything you will ever need to know about rooting and instructions can be found in this guide:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I love the Guide you have created...I spent about 4 hours reading through it today.

i would also suggest that you flash MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012] as it is waaaaaaaay better then stock. download the full wipe version and use the guide for flashing instructions.
Wow, nice. So, MikG is a ROM, I take it? Is it rooted? If so, I suppose I would not need to root my current GB ROM, unless I keep it? BTW, is the proper order to first root the phone, then flash a ROM or a Kernel after the phone is rooted? In my case it seems I've flashed the RUU GB update, because the phone kept boot-looping but in doing so it un-rooted the phone.

I'm so excited to finally be getting my feet wet with this stuff! A year ago I thought I'd try to see if I could figure out how to flash the phones to Boost Mobile myself...but gave up after a few days deep in all kinds of misleading info. Today I saw a complete guide here, in your Guide section of how to flash to Boost Mobile!--so great.

Best Regards,
Neo

Upvote 0
Wow, thank you guys for your warm welcome and for the great responses...and so fast!

Yes. With Shrinkage...down to $40 a month.

Gotcha. So GingerBread is the only official ROM that runs on the Evo 4G?
No we have some decent ICS roms now and even a few JB roms. they are not official roms. we will never see any more official updates from htc or sprint.

Baseband version: 2.15.00.12.19

That's what I thought...thanks for clarifying. When I saw S-Off in the BootLoader, I wasn't sure.

Perfecto...have yet to use a Recovery. Is SU a SuperUser file? In a nutshell, are there non-SU files?--and what is the difference?
yes the superuser comes two ways. you need to flash the su file first then download the su app from the play store if you want to stay on stock. but to me stock is soooooooo boring.

Thanks for these very easy-to-follow instructions. This is just what I needed!

To do a Nandroid backup, I use a Recovery, right?
yes in recovery. it is in the guide

Thank you for the warm welcome! I love the Guide you have created...I spent about 4 hours reading through it today.
glad to hear that you have been reading it. it is always important to read first then try later.

Wow, nice. So, MikG is a ROM, I take it? Is it rooted? If so, I suppose I would not need to root my current GB ROM, unless I keep it? BTW, is the proper order to first root the phone, then flash a ROM or a Kernel after the phone is rooted? In my case it seems I've flashed the RUU GB update, because the phone kept boot-looping but in doing so it un-rooted the phone.
yes mikg is a rom, but there is no need to re-root your phone. you just need to:
1.make a nandroid backup
2.wipe everything but the sd card
3.flash the rom

and your phone is not unrooted unless you have s-on again. as long as it is s-off then you are fine. you just need to get recovery again. just follow the instructions in the switching recoveries section to get recovery back.

I'm so excited to finally be getting my feet wet with this stuff! A year ago I thought I'd try to see if I could figure out how to flash the phones to Boost Mobile myself...but gave up after a few days deep in all kinds of misleading info. Today I saw a complete guide here, in your Guide section of how to flash to Boost Mobile!--so great.

Best Regards,
Neo

see the answers in red.

feel free to ask more questions

Upvote 0
Once you have rooted the phone, it is rooted until you take steps to unroot it. In your case using the S-ON tool to go from S-OFF to S-ON. As long as your H-boot still says S-OFF you are always just a few quick steps from flashing a rooted ROM.

Now, you can run an unrooted ROM like your phone is currently running, but your phone isnt really "unrooted" because its still S-OFF. The ROM just doesnt have the superuser app.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your patience and continued good answers, ocnbrze and Rxpert83.

Based on both of your answers, it seems you're saying my phone *is* rooted, because of it's in S-OFF, but due to the ROM not having the SU app, I just need to get Recovery...and then it will be "totally" rooted?

I hope it's OK to ask a few other questions here:

• Say I want to try and test other ROMs, like the one ocnbrze recommended the other day (MikG v3.11) and maybe some others too, to see which one works best for me. Is it OK to switch around often without messing things up or losing data?
  • When I flashed the RUU_SuperSonic...4.67 the other day, though I didn't lose the contents of my SD card, I did lose a whole bunch of text history as well as the contact pictures that I had worked on in Photoshop to have a picture go with the name of my contacts. I'd like to backup those kind of things on a weekly or monthly basis so that in the event of a) losing the phone b) damaged SD card c) phone freezes, or locks up and requires a reset...that I don't lose that kind of stuff. I watched the video for the backup app in the Guide section (can't remember the name...it's a paid app for $4.99), but I also saw something I think that was called Titanium that works on Rooted devices. Which method of backing up everything on the phone (on a regular basis) would you recommend?
  • For some reason I had also lost the last 20-or-so contacts that I had more recently added to my phone (which I always add to my Google account) which didn't copy back over to the phone, for some reason when I re-set the phone. Have you ever heard of this type of thing? Is there a way to try and pull contacts from Google that didn't import to the phone?
  • Every time I d/l an app, I always move it to the SD card when it allows me to. I thought that those apps were actually installed on the SD card (freeing up the phone's internal memory). But after the flash the other day, none of the apps were on the phone and I couldn't find or figure out how to re-install those apps from the SD card. While using Astro (or Windows Explorer when plugged into USB), I could see some folders that were associated with the apps in question, but I couldn't re-install them. Now that I'm starting over again setting up the phone, should I manually delete all remnants of folders that look like they might only contain cache from those programs? Because I'm downloading the apps again and installing them over...I don't want to have 2 copies of some of these folders.
  • The reason I try to always move apps to the SD card is because it seems I get the message often "running out of storage space". Is there an app, or a way to stay on top of managing the internal storage space and moving things to the SD card that *can* be moved? And, why do some apps not let you move them to the SD card?
  • My wife's phone (also an Evo 4G) doesn't seem to freeze up or loop-boot ever. I think I push mine more using heavier apps, like TeamViewer to manage my trades on my main trading computer when I'm away. It seems that after a few days, I need to restart my phone to get it running smooth and fast again. It would be nice to know what processes I'm putting it through that push it too hard.
  • If I use a custom ROM, will I be able to use the following?

1. Front and Rear cameras
  2. Text message pictures
  3. Alarm clock/timers
  4. Flashlight app

• The guy at the cell phone store that flashed our Evo's to Boost Mobile also installed an app called Wireless Tether which has been helpful on trips to connect our laptops to the internet on the 3G signal we get on the phones. However, when I flashed my phone the other day, I lost that app and while speaking with this guy on the phone he said that I should d/l the older version of the app (which he pointed me to on the internet)...instead of the newer version (which may be in Beta mode) which is the only one available on the Market Place (Play Store). So, I d/l version 2.0.7 and have it on the HD of my computer. Are any of you familiar with Wireless_Tether, the app?--and do you know if this older version is less problematic than the newer versions, which this guy told me will probably need some tweaks to get to work? Thanks.
I've probably asked enough questions for now. Thank you again for your time and patience in helping me with these elementary questions.

Best Regards,
Neo

Upvote 0
I decided to follow this guide and install Recovery and flash the SU. Here's how it went...
Installing recovery:
1.download the file. PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery
This all worked as described.

Flashing SU:
1)download this and put this file, Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed on the root(not in any folder) of your card via usb cable.
2)Reboot the phone to recovery (get to h-boot and select recovery)
3) select install
4) install from zip
5) find the superuser file and flash it

reboot
I started the Recovery right after having installed it, without rebooting. When I got to Step 3, there was no option for "select install". These were the options on the menu:

• Reboot system now
  • USB-MS toggle
  • Backup/Restore
  • Flash zip from sdcard
  • Wipe
  • Partition sdcard
  • Mounts
  • Other
  • Power Off
  • (Under "Other", there were these 2 options:)
  • Fix apk vid mismatches
  • Move recovery.log to SD
The one I felt was closest to your steps 3, 4 and 5, was the "Flash zip from sdcard, so I went with that one. From there it took me to another page that gave me 2 options: Choose zip from sdcard, or Toggle signature verification. I went with the 1st. Next page had a directory view of the SD contents, I scrolled to "Superuser-3.0.7..." It then did the install and sat at the "Mounting SYSTEM..." for about 1 minute, then said it was complete. I rebooted and now I'm back in Android...and I think the phone must be completely Rooted now! Yay!

Does this sound right?

Thanks,
Neo

P.S. Once the phone restarted, the first thing it did was d/l an update to SuperUser (version 3.1.3)

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I decided to follow this guide and install Recovery and flash the SU. Here's how it went...

This all worked as described.

The one I felt was closest to your steps 3, 4 and 5, was the "Flash zip from sdcard, so I went with that one. From there it took me to another page that gave me 2 options: Choose zip from sdcard, or Toggle signature verification. I went with the 1st. Next page had a directory view of the SD contents, I scrolled to "Superuser-3.0.7..." It then did the install and sat at the "Mounting SYSTEM..." for about 1 minute, then said it was complete. I rebooted and now I'm back in Android...and I think the phone must be completely Rooted now! Yay!

Does this sound right?

Thanks,
Neo

P.S. Once the phone restarted, the first thing it did was d/l an update to SuperUser (version 3.1.3)

yes that sounds like you succesfully flashed a file. now flashing a rom is similar but you will have to do some wiping first.

use the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html for more root info including how to flash a rom and make a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
Thank you all so much for your help so far, it has been very appreciated! I had to re-install Windoze on my machine last week and it took me a while to get all my software running and up to date again, so I haven't been able to try another ROM yet, but I will very soon.

Little question: Do I need to install HTC Sync on my computer to get the Windows driver for the 4G? Can I run the RUU_SuperSonic ROM without having a driver for the 4G installed at all? If not, is there an easier way to get the driver for the 4G other than installing HTC Sync?

Thank you,
Neo

Upvote 0
Thank you all so much for your help so far, it has been very appreciated! I had to re-install Windoze on my machine last week and it took me a while to get all my software running and up to date again, so I haven't been able to try another ROM yet, but I will very soon.

Little question: Do I need to install HTC Sync on my computer to get the Windows driver for the 4G? Can I run the RUU_SuperSonic ROM without having a driver for the 4G installed at all? If not, is there an easier way to get the driver for the 4G other than installing HTC Sync?

Thank you,
Neo

why do you need to run a ruu? what are you trying to do?

Upvote 0
I'm trying to help a friend who has an Evo 4G (which was flashed to Boost Mobile, just like mine). Lately the phone hasn't been responding to touch (touching the screen, etc), so the phone is unusable. I tried accessing the Recovery from HBoot, but the screen goes black and does not respond. I figured it would be worth it to try flashing it with RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Spring_WWE-4.67 like I did to my phone last week.

Regards,
Neo

Upvote 0
I'm trying to help a friend who has an Evo 4G (which was flashed to Boost Mobile, just like mine). Lately the phone hasn't been responding to touch (touching the screen, etc), so the phone is unusable. I tried accessing the Recovery from HBoot, but the screen goes black and does not respond. I figured it would be worth it to try flashing it with RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Spring_WWE-4.67 like I did to my phone last week.

Regards,
Neo

have you tried just installing a custom recovery? a ruu will not have a recovery, but you can try it. what is the hboot? and baseband(radio)?

Upvote 0
have you tried just installing a custom recovery? a ruu will not have a recovery, but you can try it. what is the hboot? and baseband(radio)?
I have not tried installing a custom recovery. My friend is bringing the phone over in an hour...I tried helping over the phone this morning. U don't know what the hboot is, but my guess is that is is the same as mine, since it was flashed to Boost by the same person who flashed mine. I wanted to update their Gingerbread to this later version I had anyways. I don't mind just tying a custom Recovery, like the one you pointed me to (PC36IMG) and then putting SuperUser 3.07 on, though updating Gingerbread would seem to be useful also to stop the constant "there's a system update available" messages. Either way, if I can get the phone working again, I'll be happy.

Thanks,
Neo

Upvote 0
I have not tried installing a custom recovery. My friend is bringing the phone over in an hour...I tried helping over the phone this morning. U don't know what the hboot is, but my guess is that is is the same as mine, since it was flashed to Boost by the same person who flashed mine. I wanted to update their Gingerbread to this later version I had anyways. I don't mind just tying a custom Recovery, like the one you pointed me to (PC36IMG) and then putting SuperUser 3.07 on, though updating Gingerbread would seem to be useful also to stop the constant "there's a system update available" messages. Either way, if I can get the phone working again, I'll be happy.

Thanks,
Neo

once you have a recovery then all you need to do is flash a gingerbread rom and the phone will be updated. whatever you do DO NOT ACCEPT THE OTA!!!!!!

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
OK, thanks. Do you know if I will need to install HTC Sync on my computer first, to have a driver that Windows will be able to communicate with the 4G through? Right now the phone doesn't respond to the touch screen, so if I copy any files over to the SD card (Recovery, etc), I'll hope that the phone shows up as a device in Windows when I plug the USB cable in. Will I need to turn Fast Boot off?

Upvote 0
OK, thanks. Do you know if I will need to install HTC Sync on my computer first, to have a driver that Windows will be able to communicate with the 4G through? Right now the phone doesn't respond to the touch screen, so if I copy any files over to the SD card (Recovery, etc), I'll hope that the phone shows up as a device in Windows when I plug the USB cable in. Will I need to turn Fast Boot off?

yeah that is fine with htc sync. and yes have fastboot off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones