• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updateing assistance requested

TheShaz

Lurker
Nov 26, 2009
I used Unrevoked 3.3 many moons ago. I just wanted to get Wifi tethering working. But now its time to update this poor thing.

Sprint EVO 4G

OS Version 2.2
Baseband Version 2.15.00.11.19
Kernal version 2.6.32.17-gee557fd htc-kernal@and18-2 #15
Build number 3.70.651.1
Software number 3.70.651.1
PRI version 1.90_003
PRL version 60679

HBOOT 2.10.001

ClockworkMod Recovery v 3.0.0.2

I read a post about the earlier versions of Unrevoked use Amend scripts that have been phased out. But I dont know how to reverse Unrevoked to get another ROM on there. Dont want to brick the poor thing. Ive been happy just using the device all these months, but now the nagging from Sprint to update has gotten to me. Also I would not mind trying some of the other ROM's out there the provide better battery performance.

So, what do I need to do to update this device? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

TheShaz

IMO, this is what i would do to bring your phone up to date...
1. i'd switch to amon ra 2.3, tons more stable and reliable than clockwork...
2. then i would make a nandroid...
3. then i would dl vr superwipe and place it on sd card...
4. then i would do a complete wipe, cache, dalvik, data...
5. then i would flash vr superwipe...
6. then i would dl the newest radios... HERE is an "all in one" flashable file... then flash..
7. then i would dl any one of the new roms... then flash... i would suggest mik3d, works great for me...
i don't think i left any thing out... but, like i said, this is all strictly my opinion... others might suggest differently... hope this is somewhat helpfull...

Reactions: TheShaz
Upvote 0
6. then i would dl the newest radios... HERE is an "all in one" flashable file... then flash..
7. then i would dl any one of the new roms... then flash... i would suggest mik3d, works great for me...
i don't think i left any thing out... but, like i said, this is all strictly my opinion... others might suggest differently... hope this is somewhat helpfull...

I disagree with absolutely EVERYTHING you just said... oh wait thats not right... I agree COMPLETELY with what you just said.... yeah, that sounds more like it :D oh, and just as a paranoid precautionary thing, make a copy of your nandroids on an external device, i.e. computer, flashdrive, external hard drive, etc etc etc.... oh, and just fyi, clockwork nandroids dont work with amon ra and vice versa, amon is a superior recovery in every aspect. 1 last tip, make sure to shower daily and use enough deodorant. Smelly pits deter chicks.....

Reactions: TheShaz
Upvote 0
alright now you got me all confused here. I just rooted my phone and im confused on what to do next, ive been reading a lot lately and I see that Rom manager is not recommended for NANDROID (which means backup right). now whats next, kernel or rom? can anybody guide me please? Thanks.

you are correct rom manager is not the way to do things. do everything manually.

as far as roms go there are two types of roms out there. sense and aosp (android open source project). aosp is pure android with none of the htc sense in it.

well i would recommend trying mikg2.45 as the rom to start out with. it is a gingerbread sense rom and is very stable and very fast. you can get it in the rom/kernel sticky. also every rom has its own stock kernel. if you want to try a custom kernel then there are only two try out, golden monkey 1.1 or the freedom kernels .85. please read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/389360-kernels-dummies.html to learn about kernels.

also read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/395962-guide-rooting-gingerbread-revolutionary.html. it will show you how to flash a rom and kernel. i hope i answered your questions.

Reactions: 350zx6r
Upvote 0

I would like to stress that when you do a nandroid through Amon Ra you make absolutely sure you check Wimax as one of the backup options. Because it has been stated before that flashing radios has the highest risk to cause you to lose your wimax keys and without a backup your hosed.

Upvote 0
I would like to stress that when you do a nandroid through Amon Ra you make absolutely sure you check Wimax as one of the backup options. Because it has been stated before that flashing radios has the highest risk to cause you to lose your wimax keys and without a backup your hosed.

this is all true but you do not have to do it every time. just keep one nandroid nackup that has wimax backed up and put it in a safe place like your computer. after that it is not necessary.

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze
Thank buddy you are the most helpful. I sucessfully flashed synergy rom last night and it looks amazing, now Ive been reading non-stop about other things I do not understand. I have been told to do a SU after I rooted the phone and I have looked around for SU and I do not see anything. Also I see that some people also flash: RADIO, WIMAX, PRI, NV and HBOOT. Do I need to do these and what are these for? Thanks!

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze
Thank buddy you are the most helpful. I sucessfully flashed synergy rom last night and it looks amazing, now Ive been reading non-stop about other things I do not understand. I have been told to do a SU after I rooted the phone and I have looked around for SU and I do not see anything. Also I see that some people also flash: RADIO, WIMAX, PRI, NV and HBOOT. Do I need to do these and what are these for? Thanks!

Seems to me if you already flashed a new rom, somewhere along the line you already did what you need to with the SU file.

Upvote 0
yeah I did it because I followed his guide but my question is about those other utilities. Do I need to flash them as well or are they not needed, whats the deal?

ok so the radios i will add to the guide at some point. but i will try to answer your question. radios are not necessarily need to be updated. they are your radios responsible for your 3g signal and how your voice and data are handled by the towers. updating them can for some may improve signal strength and call quality. also some have reported better battery life as well. make sense if your phone gets better signal your phone will not be draining you battery in search for that signal. it is not necessary to update those.

just be careful if you do update your radios. it is the main reason that most loose their wimax keys. just make sure to make a nandroid backup with your wimax key backed up on your computer. also make sure that you have plenty of battery when you try and update your radios.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones