• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updates failing with (403) error

Mahalo

Android Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa, Florida
Man, I am getting seriously chapped... these failed updates and/or downloads from Google Play (asinine name that it is if they want to try and make it in the business market...) for not only apps that are free but ones I have paid for are killing me...

I've tried using wifi, 4g, 3g, push from play.google.com and am unable to update my dang phone.

I've factory reset, I've tried new ROMs, new kernels, tried flashing the google play cache... I'm at my wit's end! Anyone else have the same issue who was able to resolve it? Gahhhhh! I have not being able to get something I paid for! App Developers tell me it is googles problem... I explained to them that it isn't their problem, it is my problem, but it may be googles fault.
/vent

I ran into this exact same problem and tried multiple things. The only thing that worked for me was to go into settings > apps > all apps and find the play market then uninstall updates. This reverted back to the old Android Market and I was able to update everything that needed updating. After I did that I hit the home button and left it alone for about 15 minutes. When I opened it back up the update to Google Play was there and once I updated everything was normal again.

Reactions: Mahalo
Upvote 0
I ran into this exact same problem and tried multiple things. The only thing that worked for me was to go into settings > apps > all apps and find the play market then uninstall updates. This reverted back to the old Android Market and I was able to update everything that needed updating. After I did that I hit the home button and left it alone for about 15 minutes. When I opened it back up the update to Google Play was there and once I updated everything was normal again.

Grrr.... the ROM I'm on had GAPPS built in so wasn't updated. Time to test a new ROM again. Thank you for the advice!

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with wi fi only. I have noticed I get this error when I update apps or download new apps over WI FI. I am able to download my apps updates or new apps via 3G without a problem, I have to Tether my Galaxy Tab to my mobile phone 3G to be able to update apps or download new ones, otherwise I get error 403 over WIFI. I believe its a Google Playshop issue and WIFI. I have tried all suggestions, ie clearing cache, etc etc nothing works. I am very happy with Android and apps but this error or issue is disheartening.

PS My Samsung Galaxy Tab and My Samsung SII rocks love'em

Upvote 0
Man, I am getting seriously chapped... these failed updates and/or downloads from Google Play (asinine name that it is if they want to try and make it in the business market...) for not only apps that are free but ones I have paid for are killing me...

I've tried using wifi, 4g, 3g, push from play.google.com and am unable to update my dang phone.

I've factory reset, I've tried new ROMs, new kernels, tried flashing the google play cache... I'm at my wit's end! Anyone else have the same issue who was able to resolve it? Gahhhhh! I have not being able to get something I paid for! App Developers tell me it is googles problem... I explained to them that it isn't their problem, it is my problem, but it may be googles fault.
/vent

I hear you my friend ! I tried all sorts of stuff but Play Store and WiFi just dont work, my next thing that I will be looking at to resolve is my router to see if there is a block there, again updated my tab today via 3G without a drama ! its definitely a PlayStore issue and WiFi not our issue, hello google fix it ! now !

Reactions: Mahalo
Upvote 0
I just bought a Nexus 7 as a gift for my dad for Christmas and I too was getting these 403 errors for all updates and downloads (free or paid).

I called Google Play Application support and they told me to reboot, clear the cache, and also told me that the app server was down and to wait 24-48 hours...

...after I read this thread, I thought it made sense that the router had some strange security settings...

The fix for me was to reset the router to factory defaults and re-setup without crazy security settings. I think my updates and downloads would have worked on another random router.

Just thought I would let people know. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones