1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Updates

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Luni45, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Luni45

Luni45 Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2017
    So apparently Google made an update for Android keyboard and texting. I am not able to text someone without literally going into my contacts first. If I click on a name it will go to my messages not the person so that I can text them.This is really annoying does anyone have the same issue.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    This sounds like a problem with your message app rather than the keyboard, but your post isn't completely clear about what you are doing. Can you spell it out in a little more detail, like what app you are clicking on a name in? If it's the message app try clicking on the message you see next to the name rather than picture/name itself (I don't know what message app you are using, but in some apps these do different things) and maybe check the message app's settings for options.

3. Luni45

Luni45 Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2017
    Yeah so when I start to type the person's name in to send them a text and I click on their name it goes to my overall text messages. I have to go to my contacts menu and search it in there just to send a text now.

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    So to be explicit: I'm assuming that you are in your message app, you click the button to write a new message, type the name in in the field that opens. If you are doing something different (or missing one of those steps) please tell us exactly what. Also what message app (I assume the built-in one, but as you've not said what phone you have that doesn't answer the question - most manufacturers include their own message app).

And when you click on the name and it takes you to your "overall messages", does it take you to a conversation with that person (or at least a list where that person's conversation is visible), or just to the conversation list? The former would make sense if it was treating it as a search for that person (i.e. it didn't recognise that you wanted to send a text, just as if you wanted to find your messages to that person). Of course if you click on that conversation you should be able to send a message directly from there.

Sorry it's still all questions, but there's enough unsaid in your message that I can't be certain of the sequence.

If the problem is the message app misbehaving, have you tried a different message app?

5. Luni45

Luni45 Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2017
    I am using the Native Messaging App that came with the phone Kyocera. When I press the person's name in the search bar for texting it goes to overall messages. And I don't want to have to download another texting app just to text people.

6. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    What happens if you use a different keyboard? There are a few good ones that those here can recommend.

Also what version of the OS? Marshmallow 6.0 - newer or older?

7. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Well if you don't want to use a different texting app I'm afraid you'll never know.
    I use Textra from the play store.
    Download it, and give it a shot.
    At this point, what's to lose

Hadron likes this.
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I suggest you contact Kyocera about it then, as they're the only people who can fix the stock Kyocera messaging app, nobody else can.

I've never come across this problem having never had a Kyocera phone, and I don't know anyone who does.

#8 mikedt, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Luni45 likes this.
  9. Luni45

Luni45 Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2017
    Alright I finally fixed it I just went to settings and force stopped Google keyboard.

mikedt likes this.