• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updating a Droid X?...Help please

scspur

Lurker
Apr 5, 2011
I purchased a Droid X that was already rooted. What do I need to do to update it? I want to keep it rooted because I use the wireless tether from time to time.

System Version 2.3.13MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android Version 2.2

This is my first droid after tinkering with blackberrys for several years. So far I really like the phone and look forward to learning more about it.

thanks in advance...

my suggestion is going to be...

1. Flash the latest Full SBF file...it will bring you to a completely stock setup with the latest official update from Motorola....you will break root, but that is one click of a button away from coming back

2. after re-rooting your options will be quite vast for customization

Upvote 0
Follow what Metfanant says. That's really good advice.
What you'll need for pretty much everything:
for the phone:
Z4 root
Droid2 (yes, you read right) Bootstrapper (droidx bootstrapper will work for some stuff, but not in GB)
3 part zip for GB to get you to .588
.591 if you're paranoid about making sure you take all the steps
.595 for the finish, I suggest the rooted deodexed version

For the computer:
RSD lite version 4.9
SBF file for FroYo so if things go badly, you can SBF back to stock and try again.
Moto drivers for RSD lite.

All of these things are readily available for download, Bootstrap costs $2.00, and is well worth the price.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones