• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updating an X overseas

Geri O

Lurker
Sep 28, 2010
I am trying to help a U.S. serviceman update his Droid X to 2.2. I'm not sure of his whereabouts, but what happened is that he bought an X, then was shipped out and his fiance mailed his X to him. While there, he was able to get the phone activated and now he wants to update the X to 2.2. I gather that there is no Verizon service where he is (which makes me wonder how he managed to get it activated??). He has wifi available, but the phone isn't giving him the option to connect to Verizon's servers to get the update. (A) Is there a method of finding the official update files somewhere for him to download and install them to his phone and/or (B) is there a way to make Verizon's update service via WIFI and do the update that way? Could his IP address be telling Verizon that he's not in the States? Personally, I think he's gonna need to wait until he returns in order to get the update, not to mention that he's gonna go through enough grief just to get it, but if there's an issue after the update, he's gonna go through that much more grief.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanx, Geri O

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones