• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updating Android device.

trenchn

Lurker
Jan 14, 2014
Hi,
I have an HP Slate 17 running Android 4.4.4.

It is constantly freezing, closing apps, etc.
Before i try and replace it I thought I might see if I can update to the latest os.
I know I will have to "hack" it, but is it actually possible to do this succesfully?
Needless to say I don't know anything about anything.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Nick

The "hack" will consist of unlocking the device so that you can flash unofficial software to it, then either finding a new version that someone else has built for the device or building it yourself.

The normal way this is done is by installing a custom version of the recovery module that will allow you to flash unsigned software (which can be done after unlocking the bootloader). However, the custom recovery must be built for your particular model: trying to flash a recovery built for a different device is an effective way of reducing it to a paperweight.

Then you need to find, or build yourself, a more recent version of Android. Again, this has to be built for your particular model, there is no generic build you can use and software built for a different model won't work. If someone hasn't done it already this is a major undertaking unless you are experienced at this sort of thing. And jumping from 4.4 to 9 is more likely to encounter problems with incompatible hardware drivers than a more modest step (say to 5.0).

So I think the short answer is, as Danny has posted while I was typing this, it's not likely. You could look around somewhere like XDA-developers and see whether any development work was done for this device, but I'd be inclined to follow his suggestion and see whether cleaning it up will help. To be honest a device built for Android 4 is not likely to run better with Android 8 or 9 even if you could install it.

Upvote 0
yeah op like hadron and dannydet has said it is most likely that you are stuck at android 4.4.4 which is KitKat(?????)

i did some searching and did not find much. there was a few threads which showed promise over at xda but all the links for either the steps or file downloads are now broken. with technology advancing so fast these days, devices that are only a few years old do not have the backing by the development community any more as they move on to newer and shinier devices.

so yeah i doubt you will be able to find anything that will work for you, unfortunately.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones