• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updating current rom to newer version...

USB Debugging, I would leave it on. :p

That allows you to use ADB from your PC, if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Yes that's basically what it's used for, there are probably other things it's used for as well. One of them is to root the phone, with an app or over the computer via USB (usually by using adb still with a computer and a .bat file (for windows) and other files put together)

Upvote 0
Were here for you. :)

Which is the only reason I'm willing to even attempt this scary stuff, LOL!!! ;)

OK, I posted a question to LeslieAnn's Harmonia thread on the other android forum b/c Andy gave me a reminder that the dreaded black screen issue might rear its ugly head again, and I don't want to freak myself out with that problem this go around. I'm waiting to hear back before proceeding. I had a feeling nothing was going to happen before the weekend anyway, ugh! my timing is always way off! :)

Upvote 0
ok, sounds good...tomorrow's the day. in fact, i think it's already tomorrow, haha!

so, correct me if i'm wrong, here's my version of the events involved. i'm going to be sure i'm backed up in TiBu and also my recovery backup (nandroid), then i'm going to flash leslie's wipe program, then i'm going to flash harmonia 1.8. if all goes well, i'm done flashing and then will go get my TiBu and Link2sd stuff back in order... If the flash doesn't go well i need to flash the pica07 kernel and hope that fixes things. is that right?

Upvote 0
OK, here's LeslieAnn's reply to my "black screen" question:

"1.8 is pretty much identical, so you may end up with the same issue.
However, what I would do, is backup everything (nandroid and normal), then clear cache and dalvik, then install 1.8 right over the top.

See how that works for you."

So, should I give that a go? Does that mean I wouldn't do any wipes...just flash 1.8? Would I be clearing cache and dalvik thru my recovery...is that the same as doing a "wipe" of those things?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
ok, i know no one's up now, LOL, but we had an emergency today and i'm just now doing my install, LOL!

i'm following the steps to do the wipes/install zips like ben has instructed, but when i went to wipe my sd-ext under mounts and storage, i don't see a "wipe" option...one option says mount sd-ext and another at the bottom of the list says format sd-ext. i didn't know which one to choose, so i chose format, thinking that would be a wipe.

hope that was right...we shall see...pressing on....

Ah, success in flashing the new rom! yay, that was actually painless, thank you, thank you! now to do my link2sd...ok, don't fail me now! :)

ok, awesome! all is well! but, ben, i have a question for you about your link2sd tutorial. i was doing it step by step... after i opened link2sd and chose autolink, then opened TiBu and chose my apps to backup, after TiBu did its job, all my apps were automatically linked. so i'm confused about the rest of your links tutorial, all that stuff about choosing the filter and library size and linking that.... do i need to do all that if everything is already showing linked? let me know and i'll do whatever you advise. thanks a million!!!!! :)

Upvote 0
I never learned about Link2sd...

Is it better than app2ext?

I like link2sd. I always avoided any of the 2sd scripts but started running low on internal storage so one day gave it a try. Very easy to setup and use and never had an issue when doing rom upgrades. I also like being able to uninstall system and user apps and intergrate apps and updates into system apps from within the link2sd app

Upvote 0
OK, how do i know if apps need the library files linked? when i go into Link2sd and follow ben's tutorial, i'm not seeing the little arrow thing that he pointed out...so i'm a bit confused, LOL.

thanks!

ps...everything smoothly operating so far, i like the new google play on harmonia 1.8. i am missing some internal storage though, it seems to go down on its own for no reason...so i bet i need to do my linking better....

Upvote 0
ok, i'm going to try to do a screenshot and put it in here so you can see what i'm looking at and tell me what's up....

Rats, ok, nevermind that didn't work...my screenshot app is wonky or i don't know what i'm doing...no need to guess which one, eh? :)

um, i'm seeing that arrow thing now that you mention in the library filtered apps list, and some of the apps don't have the arrow...so i'm going to just read thru your tutorial again and try to get this right.

Here's the part that's confusing me...from your tutorial:

"Select all the ones where lib is not linked, (when lib is 0 there are no more lib files to worry about in the list) push the menu key and select create link,"

When i see the apps that have no arrow in front of the lib, all of them say Lib 0.00B.

Do I need to link those apps?

I did it and it worked, but I'm not sure it freed up any room...but I finally understand all the steps you wrote out and saw it work, so that's awesome.

Sorry to be such a pain!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones