1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Updating Galaxy 5 to gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by drw116, Aug 25, 2012.

1. drw116

drw116 Lurker

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice as to how I can update my standard Samsung Galaxy 5 from 2.1 (eclair) to 2.3 (gingerbread) or possibly even further. Ideally, id love a step by step method as I really have no idea as to what im doing and am tinkering around with my phone.

Thanks

2. shawn672

shawn672 Newbie

What is a Galaxy 5?

3. drw116

drw116 Lurker

Samsung Galaxy 5 Android phone

The Samsung Galaxy 5 was released around August of 2010 - take a look at the specifications through the link posted above

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

5. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Android Enthusiast

Save up and buy a new phone. That's not getting updated officially. Buy a mainstream device, and not something obscure.

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

The Galaxy 5 isn't obscure. Well, only in the US. It is an older device true, but it was one of Samsung's mainstream offerings back in the day when Android wasn't big in the US yet. Its one of those Asian market only offerings (like the Galaxy S Advance. You guys get the Galaxy R over there in the Western Hemisphere).

7. drw116

drw116 Lurker

Yes admittedly the galaxy 5 is an obscure phone (my first ever smart phone) and now that I have purchased a Samsung galaxy nexus s with 4.1.1 jellybean installed totaling $250 (absolutely wrapped :D), I now have a spare phone to tinker around with.

8. drw116

drw116 Lurker

I have no idea about american phone costs but here in Australia, thats a bargen. I purchased the galaxy 5 here in Australia around a year ago

9. drw116

drw116 Lurker

Just another question on the side - just for clarification - is the Samsung galaxy nexus with Icecream sandwich (android 4.0) or is it jelly bean (4.1)? Pretty sure its 4.0 but I may be wrong. Also, my Samsung galaxy nexus S is equipped with jelly bean 4.1.1 - is there a difference between 4.1 and 4.1.1?

Thanks guys