1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Updating googlemail email address

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by carnaige, Mar 11, 2011.

1. carnaige

carnaige Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Hi

Is it possible for my wife to update her email address to include her new surname without it messing up the link to her Android phone?

I tried to change my domain from googlemail to gmail last year and I wasn't able to do Market downloads anymore... so i reverted back.

I'm not sure you can 'edit' an email address with Googlemail and therefore she may have to create a new email account with her new married name and then forward all emails on from her old account...

If she did this, are we able to update the primary account with the Andoid Phone and transfer all old settings / apps etc linked to the old email account?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    Editing Your Account: Username

If you use Gmail with your Google Account, it's not currently possible to change your Gmail username after you've registered. You can, however, create another Google Account with a different Gmail username.
    If you don't use Gmail with your Google Account, you can change your account username to another email address at any time. Your username is the full email address you used to create your account.

To change the email address on your account, just follow these steps:

1. Visit the Google Accounts homepage.
    2. Sign in to your account.
    3. Click the Change email link next to 'Security.'
    4. Enter your new email address and your current password.
    5. Click Save.
    Once you've saved the change, you should receive a verification message at the email address you just entered. To complete the change, you'll need to click the verification link in this message. You should also receive a message at your old email address confirming that we've registered the change to your account.
    Note:
    • You can't change the email address on your account to an existing Gmail address, but we invite you to add a new Gmail address to your Google Account.
    • You can't change the email address on your account to an email address that's already associated with a Google Account.
    • If you want to make your alternate email address the new primary address, you'll first need to delete your alternate email address from the account.
    • The account username that you choose needs to be an active, valid email address that you can access.

3. carnaige

carnaige Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Hi

She does use GMAIL to check her email so I'm guessing your methodolgy wont work for her.

Will she be able to do the following:

Create a new GMAIL account
    Forward on emails from old Googlemail account
    Update account on her HTC Desire to pick up from new account
    Carry over account setting from old account to new account on phone (e.g payment settings in Android Market)?

Thanks

4. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    Not my methodology, I took that from Google's faq page.

5. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Huh? What he posted IS for gmail...

Yes.

You will have to factory reset the phone to change the gmail account. However, you can forward emails FROM the new account to the one currently on the phone.

No.

6. carnaige

carnaige Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    OK cheers..

If we do the Gmail change and do the factory reset on the phone, will we then have to re-download / pay for all of the apps that she has?

I'm presuming she would also lose all her texts/pics etc (?

Cheers

7. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Paid apps are tied to the Google account.

She can use the new email account without switching the primary Google account on the device.

A wipe will erase texts. Pics should be on the SD card and should not be affected. I suspect texts and data can be backed up and restored. It's a lot of hassle IMO for an email switch since, again, she can add the new email account without having to change the primary Google account on the device.

8. Jesishmoo

Jesishmoo Lurker
    None

May 25, 2012
    It's probably too late, but I'll post this here anyway... you can back up your texts with a free app sms backup and restore. you just have to confirm that the backup is saved on the SD. It says it isn't but usually if you take the card out and check it it is there. Worked for me!