• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updating Google's Own Apps On Google Play?

So I'm sure this has been asked somewhere previously but couldn't really find an answer.

So, I bought my first Android device yesterday, Nexus 9 tablet.

I configured it to my own Google account (no Google+ or Gmail), then updated to 6.0.1 and finally made a factory reset to make sure I have clean Android 6 install (as the device came with Android 5).

Anyways, the device is now up and running smoothly but there's a strange thing in the Google Play store. It does not show that I would have any pending updates but if I search for Google's own apps, it shows that I can update them. Why wont they update automatically or at least show up as a pending update or do I really have to manually, one-by-one update every single Google app the device has pre-installed?

When you open the Play Store app and click on the menu then select My Apps and Games, it doesn't show you any apps that have updates available?
Nope, the whole list is empty. I have not installed any apps from the Play Store yet, just trying to figure out why the 1st party apps wont update automatically.

I did found some old topics from 2012 that just suggested to update the Google apps one by one manually and after that they should show up to the my apps section and should auto-update in the future but this sounds like a cheap.

Upvote 0
Had my Nexus 9 for a few months now and set it up after 6.0 update also. I've had a Google account for years though and when I log in to my account with a new device everything goes pretty smooth. I do keep Auto-Update turned off in Settings with Update Notification on. Usually Pre installed apps will start updating as soon as you log in with a new device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones