1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Updating Nexus 5x after fixed boot loop ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Julianlfvr, May 31, 2017.

1. Julianlfvr

Julianlfvr Lurker

Hi everyone,

Two months ago, I experienced the boot loop issue with my Nexus 5x, after updating my device.
    I sent my phone back to the factory, and now it is fixed. But I'm still afraid to install the new updates, in case the boot loop thing comes back...
    So, do you guys know if it is safe to update my phone again ? Or should I stay with my current software ?

Thank you !

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

It's really hard to say - I've never had a boot loop issue and I install updates pretty much immediately they're available.

It sounds like an issue with one (or more) of the apps you have/had installed as that would appear to be the only difference between your phone and mine. I have relatively few - 20 (I just counted them) - non-Google apps and they're almost all from well established providers.

If you have a bunch of apps you don't use - particularly if they come from smaller providers that maybe don't have the greatest technical team - it might be worth removing them before you do the update.

mikedt likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I believe there's an issue with 5X hardware and the way its main board was manufactured, so it's likely a lot of pre-fix devices have the potential to bootloop at some point, regardless of software updates.

From what I've read, LG replace the entire main board for 5X devices that suffer the bootloop and are sent for repair.

#3 Deleted User, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
  4. gordonwd

gordonwd Well-Known Member

My 5x died on me the other day, exhibiting bootloop symptoms. It was manufactured in 9/2015 and I bought it in 12/2015. Google support looked up my IMEI and immediately offered to send me a (refurb) replacement free of charge. I'm looking to get a new phone within the next year, so that should do me.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I wanted to replace my Nexus 5 with a 5X, but the potential of the bootloop happening and no transferable warranty from LG make it too risky for me.

Nexus 5X Forum

The Nexus 5X release date was October 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 12MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 808 processor, and 2700mAh battery.

October 2015
Release Date
Reviews