1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Updating OS on Androids.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Inzera, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Inzera

Inzera Lurker

I have to replace my current faulty phone. I'm probably going to be restricted to a pre-owned one and looking to spend around £80/£120 but I want one that has a removable battery as I don't appreciate built-in obsolescence !! From what I have seen, a lot of phones that have removable batteries are going to be about 3 years old and have an older OS installed. Some say things like Android 6 updateable to Android 8 etc. I have found that more and more apps will not now run on older OS.

My question is:- can ANY phone be updated to a latest OS or is there a limit on what they can take. Could someone explain to me how I will know what the latest OS a phone can take - what limits its upgradability??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Some recent Nokia, BLU, and maybe some Moto phones have removable batteries, not sure if any are in that price range though.

After the manufacturer stops providing upgrades installing a newer/different version of Android yourself requires putting whats called a custom ROM onto your phone. The custom ROM has to be made specifically for your device, unfortunately you can't simply download any version of Android.

The two main advantages of rooting a phone are being able to put a custom ROM on the phone and the ability to install apps that require root.

Two downsides - there is a small chance you can brick the phone, and if it's newer you may void the warranty.

The root process is different for every phone, so follow instructions for your specific device. Here is more information about rooting:
    https://androidforums.com/threads/rooting-best-practices.450904/
    https://androidforums.com/threads/root-terminology.443075/
    https://androidforums.com/threads/youve-went-and-rooted-the-phone-now-what.617220/

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

So yes there is a limit as to how many updates a phone will have. Generally most manufacturers and phone carriers allow about 3 to 4 updates and that's it. If you just bought a new phone, let's say, and it has Android 10 then you can expect at least up through Android 12 or 13.

You can check to see what your phone has and what it can currently can be upgraded to by going to GSMArena.com for info on your phone.

#3 ocnbrze, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Brian706 and Dannydet like this.
  4. Inzera

Inzera Lurker

Thanks for the advice. I certainly wouldn't attempt rooting my own phone and to take it to a repair shop would probably not be worth the expense. I think I'll just have to accept that there's no escape from the "built-in obsolescence" The manufacturers have won !!

kate, Brian706 and ocnbrze like this.
  5. ocnbrze

plus they make batteries that are non removable(thanx crapple for that) and they only will last 3-4 years depending on use and how many charge cycles it went thru.

and device that reach eol(end of life), they will stop getting updates. which means over time apps will either slow down or will cease to work.

so yes planned obsolescence sucks, but i'm used to it by now. i have the note 10+ and i'm waiting to see what this years version will be. there is rumors that the note series and fold series will merge into one......curious to see what that looks like.

Madd61 and Dannydet like this.
  6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

I have seen some nice new Motorolas running Android 9 and 10.
    Removeable batteries, unlocked, for around $150.

I just bought two locked (Straight Talk) Motorolas for $40 and $50 respectively for the Moto e6 and the Moto e.

Can't beat them at that price.

And don't worry so much about upates to the OS.
    There really hasn't been much to write home about as far as benefits- as far as I can tell the vast amount of changes seem to be placing more limits on what you can do with your device, especially as far as personalization or getting away from Google control.

Generally there are usually ways around most of these things, but there is always a learning curve.

I rehabbed an old 5.1.1 last year, and I am surprised at how well it is doing.
    A bit slow on the processor, but it was a pathetic device when it was new, let alone now.
    It is just fine for browsing, some small games, and streaming video, news, and music.
    Even had an 'unreplaceable' battery.
    Uhh, yeah.
    It's replaceable now.

Madd61, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  7. Inzera

Inzera Lurker

So, if I bought, say, a 3 year old phone that has an acceptable later OS, but it has a non-removable battery, would that mean that the phone is going to "die" from battery failure pretty soon ??? Also, someone has told me that a non-removable battery CAN be replaced by a mobile phone shop - any ideas what that would cost for a (UK) shop to do ???

8. ocnbrze

depends. not all batteries are alike. batteries have a finite amount of charge cycles. if it is a used phone, it will depend on how the previous owner used the phone. if they used it all the time, that means that they most likely charged it a lot. each time you charge it, you loose a small amount of battery life.

or

if you bought it new in box, but it is a 3 year old phone, the battery will slowly discharge over time. once, the battery is completely drained and left that way while it sits on a shelf somewhere, the battery will loose a lot of battery life because it was drained and never re-charged.

in both cases you might be able to squeeze out a few years worth before the battery craps out on you.

and yes professionals can re-place it for you. how much does it cost? i have no idea. never ran into a situation like that. i also get a protection plan......so....if that were to happen i can use the plan(from Best Buy) to get the battery re-placed for me for no charge.

Madd61, kate, mikedt and 1 other person like this.
  9. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I've recently retired a phone that I bought new just over three years ago. A Huawei Mate 10. It came with Android 8, but was updated to Android 9, and then finally to Android 10. However it's now showing a permanent notification, "Battery health is deteriorating". and that I should seek Huawei Service, to get the battery replaced. But I haven't bothered, as I bought a new Samsung Note20 Ultra 5G to replace the Huawei. I used and charged the Huawei just about every day.

I'm sure most competent High Street phone tech places can replace batteriese, and even while you wait. But I would suggest you have a device where spares are readily available in the UK, like Samsung Galaxy S9, or S10, or something, and NOT some obscure grey market China phone.

About cost. from experience some UK repairs can be rather expensive, I was given a Samsung Galaxy S7 with a busted front glass, although the AMOLED screen was OK and the phone still worked. The High Street phone techs in Bristol quoted me between £120-£150, and it wasn't worth it. Although later on I got the glass replaced here in China for the equivalent of about £30 (300 CNY)

#9 mikedt, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Madd61, kate and ocnbrze like this.
  10. Madd61

Madd61 Well-Known Member

Honestly, right this week in the UK I'm seriously considering spending £69 for a new £150 phone, the Redmi 9 from Xiaomi on Mi.com , discounted direct from the manufacturer, 2 year warranty, sealed, latest Android and latest UI version, 2 sims and sd slot. This would be a 5th current phone, I have a Moto E6 Plus (battery removable like @puppykickr) a Nokia and another 2 Xiaomi phones. I never got around to selling 4 of these :p. They have even better phones discounted to a little over £100.

Xiaomi aside, don't get hung up on small capacity removable batteries to spite your face, as it were. I've had Android phones for 10 years and we've all been there.

There are great new budget phones around that are very well built.
    I can look over the market later and recommend others.

(I haven't read the last two posts here as I'm out of time).

mikedt and ocnbrze like this.