• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updating replacement device to latest everythings

ThreeFaces

Sep 23, 2012
NOVA
Hey dudes - I recently picked up an insanely cheap LTE yesterday, as my other one is starting to become less reliable. I was hoping for some quick advice on getting this thing current. My hope is that I can get it up to the 4.3, Sense 5, update (official) that HTC released back in February - then, if i need, I'll root and S-OFF when I get more time.

Right now, the device is running:
Software: 3.16.651.3 710RD
Android 4.1.1
Sense 4+
PRI: 2.97_003
PRL: 25015
hboot: 2.09.0000
Radio: 1.12.11.1210

I guess this is where the questions come - is it possible to get the official update from HTC and still have options to root/S-Off later? Or, will the update prevent me from doing so?

Or...should I just take the two hours and unlock this puppy, get S-OFF, and install Capt'n's version?

Thanks for the advice!
--Three

Just circling back to "close" the case, as it were. I unlocked, rooted, then S-OFF'd using moonshine [which was incredibly straight forward and simple, given my software ver]. After all of that, I updated the firmware using the RUU linked from the Capt'n's post [4.13.651.4] on XDA. Used Capt'n's modified TWRP package to flash the Sense 5 ROM, and....glory.

The entire process took about 3-4 hours with distractions and some light reading to make sure I had the most appropriate versions of everything.

--Three

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Yea, this is the third EVO LTE that I S-Off'd, and was much easier than the previous methods. I was mostly insecure about the firmware that was released in February - wasn't 100% certain that was the stable way to go, so I figured I'd ask the community what was up.

...I swear, you take a few months "off" from the dev world and you miss EVERYTHING.

Anyway, this should hold me off until my Note 4 upgrade. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones