1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root updating roms

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sequre, Mar 18, 2011.

1. sequre

sequre Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    I've been rooted for some time now but im recently been playing around with custom roms. I've installed warm twopointtwo. Rls5. What happens when updates to these roms come out and what is the best way to update them? What are nightlies? And when updating roms will I lose any personal settings/apps?

Advertisement

2. jmar

jmar Nexican
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    San Jose, CA
    Hopefully this helps you. So when flashing all roms (except Cyanogen Nightlies) , you must do a full wipe. This means data, cache and dalvik cache, NOT A CHOICE. This means that you will be working from scratch each time. If, however, you're running a nightly rom , when flashing a subsequent nightly, you need only wipe cache and dalvik cache. All your settings, homescreens, apps, data, etc...will retained intact. (When flashing a Cyanogen Release Candidate it is recommended to do a full wipe.) This is just one reason why I run the nightlies. I also run nightlies because I feel that sense is slow and crowded, just one guy's opinion here. Being able to retain everything for each update and run vanilla android is a dream come true for this Droid freak.

3. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    im also running cm7 nightlies... im a big fan of cm in general,and of gingerbread.

most rom developers reccomend a full wipe between updates,but there isnt any harm in flashing the update overtop just like you do a cm nightly,with just a cache and dalvic wipe. the results may be anything from bootloops to working fine ;) so make sure you make a backup prior to flashing in case there are issues.

a couple days ago i flashed the newest incredibly re-engineered(2.3.3 i think) overtop of what i had(2.3 i think) and the only issue i noticed was wifi not working. i havent gotten around to flashing it on a clean slate to see if that was a prollem with the flashover,or an issue with that rom.

having said that,if you choose to wipe data between updates,backup apps like titanium backup or mybackup pro can make the job of updating alot easier. just make sure you backup all your apps and data,but no system settings. when im about to change roms,ill run a batch on titanium to backup all new apps and versions. then ill flash the rom and wait for the market to stop downloading what apps its going to. then if any are missing i run batch to "restore missing apps+data". when its finished all i have to do reset up my homescreens. its pretty fast and painless :)

one last thing on this subject... the nightlys arent something special that allow updates with no data wipe. i usually flash them over,but now and then its not a bad idea to start with a clean slate with them also.i started a few weeks ago at rc1,and somewhere around build#12 i was having some minor issues so the next one available i wiped clean and reset up. no more issues.

i guess the moral of the stories is that wipes are not always needed,try at your own risk,and while they may not always be needed,a clean install can freshen up a rom can be a good thing.