• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

updating to gingerbread 2.3

• Thread starter Android Question
  • Start date
A

Android Question

hello, i have looked on the site and over the internet but cannot find any way to manually update my SPH- D700 to gingerbread 2.3. I want to update and root my phone. phone info as follows...
Carrier: Sprint
firmware: 2.2.1
Baseband: s:d700.0.5s.DK28
kernel:2.6.32.9
build: viperRom [synergy]EXT4-RFS DUAL EB13 5.0

i get an error message when downloading from the market so i cant download anything, this is a third party phone and i believe it is already rooted. Please help...

Hi guys,
Please tell me if I will be able to upgrade android version from 2.2.1 to 2.3.5 on my Samsung Galaxy Ace in 2021 as well. Which way is the best? I want to do a factory reset. I suppose it sets back android to 2.2.1 also. My phone is 10 years old and now the android
version is 2.3.5.Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
A factory reset does not change the operating system version. If the OS has been updated before the update it will remain updated after the update.

All a reset does is wipe the user storage. This removes any apps you have installed, clears their data, and also clears the data of system apps (and hence returns their settings to default). It will remove any updates to system apps made since the last system update (as the updates live in the same storage as user-installed apps), which will return all system apps to the versions that came with the most recent system update. But the Android software itself is unaffected.

The name "factory reset" is a bit misleading: it returns the phone to "factory" state in that there is no user data on it after the reset, but it is the state that a phone with the current system software would be in when leaving the factory, not the state that particular phone was originally in. A system update overwrites the existing system, so the phone no longer has a copy of Android 2.2.1 that it can return to.

In short, back up anything of importance to you as that will be lost, but don't worry about the operating system version changing.

Reactions: Budapest
Upvote 0
A factory reset does not change the operating system version. If the OS has been updated before the update it will remain updated after the update.

All a reset does is wipe the user storage. This removes any apps you have installed, clears their data, and also clears the data of system apps (and hence returns their settings to default). It will remove any updates to system apps made since the last system update (as the updates live in the same storage as user-installed apps), which will return all system apps to the versions that came with the most recent system update. But the Android software itself is unaffected.

The name "factory reset" is a bit misleading: it returns the phone to "factory" state in that there is no user data on it after the reset, but it is the state that a phone with the current system software would be in when leaving the factory, not the state that particular phone was originally in. A system update overwrites the existing system, so the phone no longer has a copy of Android 2.2.1 that it can return to.

In short, back up anything of importance to you as that will be lost, but don't worry about the operating system version changing.
Thank you very much for your long answer! I appreciate it. I have learned a lot. And it is good news, as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones