1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Updating to newer version of android?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lisaW85, Feb 21, 2011.

1. lisaW85

lisaW85 Lurker
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    I know I had a nice lady answer this on my first posting a while ago (when I needed help viewing pics) I am now being told the new version is available to install.

Can someone give me a step by step way of doing it without losing contacts etc

Advertisement

2. powerkiter

powerkiter Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    UK
    You cant, but you can back them up either via plugging your phone into the pc and do a back up that way or you can sync your phone book with your google email account that is linked with the phone.

Never done it yet but via rooting I started with a clean phone and I backed up the SD card before to by selcting everything I wanted like ring tone ect and copied them to a folder on the pc.

3. rosered

rosered Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    UK
    Hi Lisa

Are you already on 2.1? If you are and the recent update is just the pinch to zoom, then it gives you two options... the first being update only and the second being update and factory reset. I chose the first option and I lost nothing on my phone.

Word of warning, if it is the pinch to zoom update it took ages to boot back up afterwards and I was getting a bit worried about having messed it up. I just left it to do its thing and a good 5 minutes later it did boot up properly.

4. lisaW85

lisaW85 Lurker
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    Its the full update to 2.1? x

5. wynney666

wynney666 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    PC Technician
    Sheffield, UK

Then that will wipe your phone, as powerkiter said, back it up, easiest way would be using the sony pc software. Good luck.

6. rosered

rosered Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    UK
    I don't entirely trust the Sony Backup, you MUST make sure you install the new version before you run the update. It should give you a link for this.

Back your contacts up to your SD card too - in the phonebook press Menu and save to SD is in there somewhere (can't remember in 1.6)
    Sync your contacts with Google
    Sync your contacts with your PC - http://www.fjsoft.at/en/highlight.php

Back up your Messages using SMS Backup and Restore available from the market.

Download Appbrain on your phone and also sign up with them online. Then sync your apps with the Appbrain app on your phone and a list of them will be stored online. Then when you get the upgrade make Appbrain one of the first you download so that you can resync and then reinstall them.

That's my advice for what its worth.