• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updating to newer version of android?

You cant, but you can back them up either via plugging your phone into the pc and do a back up that way or you can sync your phone book with your google email account that is linked with the phone.

Never done it yet but via rooting I started with a clean phone and I backed up the SD card before to by selcting everything I wanted like ring tone ect and copied them to a folder on the pc.

Upvote 0
Hi Lisa

Are you already on 2.1? If you are and the recent update is just the pinch to zoom, then it gives you two options... the first being update only and the second being update and factory reset. I chose the first option and I lost nothing on my phone.

Word of warning, if it is the pinch to zoom update it took ages to boot back up afterwards and I was getting a bit worried about having messed it up. I just left it to do its thing and a good 5 minutes later it did boot up properly.

Upvote 0
Hi Lisa

Are you already on 2.1? If you are and the recent update is just the pinch to zoom, then it gives you two options... the first being update only and the second being update and factory reset. I chose the first option and I lost nothing on my phone.

Word of warning, if it is the pinch to zoom update it took ages to boot back up afterwards and I was getting a bit worried about having messed it up. I just left it to do its thing and a good 5 minutes later it did boot up properly.

Its the full update to 2.1? x

Upvote 0
I don't entirely trust the Sony Backup, you MUST make sure you install the new version before you run the update. It should give you a link for this.

Back your contacts up to your SD card too - in the phonebook press Menu and save to SD is in there somewhere (can't remember in 1.6)
Sync your contacts with Google
Sync your contacts with your PC - [URL="http://www.fjsoft.at/en/highlight.php"]http://www.fjsoft.at/en/highlight.php[/URL]

Back up your Messages using SMS Backup and Restore available from the market.

Download Appbrain on your phone and also sign up with them online. Then sync your apps with the Appbrain app on your phone and a list of them will be stored online. Then when you get the upgrade make Appbrain one of the first you download so that you can resync and then reinstall them.

That's my advice for what its worth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones