• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updating to newest firmware/Unrevoked?

r3dDaWn

Jun 13, 2010
Dallas
Hi everyone,

I just had a quick question, I'm flying in tomorrow from oversea's, had my evo on me the entire time, and never updated to the latest firmware, 3.70.651.1. I'm currently rooted with Unrevoked, running 3.29.651.6, and I know once I get home I can download the update from my phone, but didn't know if it was safe to do so. My question, is it okay to do the update, then re-root with unrevoked? No problems doing it in that manner, is there? Any help would be great to know the answer, thanks guys!!

You should not update with the OTA. You could cause problems with your phone. You should download the and flash the latest radios and flash a rom based on 3.70. There is likely a current version of the rom you are running now or there is a rooted stock rom available for 3.70. By accepting the OTA, you will(if the update goes through) change your Hboot and make all of your nandroid backups useless.

Upvote 0
Yes, follow Xtremedays advice about flashing radios and an updated ROM. Have a look at the Rooting for Dummies guide - section 6 under after rooting. It's a sticky in this section. There are detailed instructions on how to do this. If you're on a stock ROM, you can flash a new (almost) stock ROM along with the latest radios all in one shot using Sprint Lovers ROM. Flash the PC36IMG.zip version, per the instructions in that thread. Remember that no matter what option you take, you will need to wipe the phone, so backup everything, first.

Upvote 0
Yes, follow Xtremedays advice about flashing radios and an updated ROM. Have a look at the Rooting for Dummies guide - section 6 under after rooting. It's a sticky in this section. There are detailed instructions on how to do this. If you're on a stock ROM, you can flash a new (almost) stock ROM along with the latest radios all in one shot using Sprint Lovers ROM. Flash the PC36IMG.zip version, per the instructions in that thread. Remember that no matter what option you take, you will need to wipe the phone, so backup everything, first.

Hey guy's, thanks for all the answers, so I'm thinking I will flash the SprintLovers Rom, seems to have everything I want, but I had some questions that I hope someone can help me with. I'm stock, rooted with Unrevoked, NOT Unrevoked Forever, don't remember which version, but the version that unlocked Nand and gives S-Off. I have clockworkMod 2.5.0.1, and can boot into recovery. I was reading that to flash the rom, SprintLovers, to copy the PC36IMG.zip (ALL IN ONE, for updated radios, etc) to my root/sd card, and flash it via the bootloader. My question is, I have to wipe via recovery, data/cache/dalvik, then flash the rom, but after wiping everything in the recovery menu, how do I get back to the bootloader to flash the file? From recovery I only have the option to reboot, so can I flash the PC36IMG.zip file from within recovery? Also, will flashing any of these roms make my abliity to get back into recovery disappear, or reset the S-Off protection Unrevoked gave me? Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hey guy's, thanks for all the answers, so I'm thinking I will flash the SprintLovers Rom, seems to have everything I want, but I had some questions that I hope someone can help me with. I'm stock, rooted with Unrevoked, NOT Unrevoked Forever, don't remember which version, but the version that unlocked Nand and gives S-Off. I have clockworkMod 2.5.0.1, and can boot into recovery. I was reading that to flash the rom, SprintLovers, to copy the PC36IMG.zip (ALL IN ONE, for updated radios, etc) to my root/sd card, and flash it via the bootloader. My question is, I have to wipe via recovery, data/cache/dalvik, then flash the rom, but after wiping everything in the recovery menu, how do I get back to the bootloader to flash the file? From recovery I only have the option to reboot, so can I flash the PC36IMG.zip file from within recovery? Also, will flashing any of these roms make my abliity to get back into recovery disappear, or reset the S-Off protection Unrevoked gave me? Thanks again!

1) If you rooted with unrevoked, and have s-off, you ultimately used unrevoked-forever, as it is part of the unrevoked process. If you have s-off and a custom recovery, you have everything you need.

2) Before you do anything else, you should update to at least Clockwork 2.6.0.1 or switch to RA. Once you do, make a nandroid backup. Your current recovery will not backup your wimax partition which includes your RSA keys. If something goes wrong with the radio update (not *too* likely, but the most likely case where it can happen), you'll lose 4g forever. Save yourself the trouble, and upgrade recovery, then backup. You can get whatever recovery you want from either ROM manager (which doesn't actually have 2.6.0.1 anymore) or from the link in my sig.

3) Right, so wipe everything in recovery, first. You cannot flash a PC36IMG.zip file from recovery, though. It's a completely different type of file that recovery wouldn't recognize. You need to turn the phone off, then turn it back one while pressing and holding volume down to get to hboot. Of course, make sure you transfer the PC36IMG.zip file to the top level of the sdcard before doing that.

4) This particular PC36IMG.zip file will not do anything at all to unroot your phone. It is a normal rooted ROM that has been packaged in a PC36IMG.zip file rather than a recovery flashable zip so that it can include radios in an easy to flash format. PC36IMG.zip files can be used to unroot, though. If you get one that contains the contents of a RUU, you'll get an unrooted ROM and lost your custom recovery. You'd also update radios and hboot if it was a newer RUU than your current OTA version. That being said, just flashing sprint lovers is perfectly fine. Oh, and since since you rooted with unrevoked, the only way to lose S-OFF is to flash the unrevoked S-ON tool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones