• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Upgrade choices

Well being that the s2 is the most powerful phone from boost, assuming you're sticking with boost, that's a no brainer to me, especially the 4g factor, your shrinkage may go up but that's because it's the current available plan, but you don't have to pay extra for the 4g, you'll still be on the same step you were on say you got it down to 35, it should only go up 5 or 10 dollars a month not starting all the way over at 55 or at least from what I've seen it's possible to get it lowered to that step if they don't do it automatically

Reactions: Infirno77
Upvote 0
s2, then the sequent, then htc desire, lg venice, galaxy rush, kyocera hydro.

sequent has a bigger screen and slightly faster cpu than the desire, but the desire has 4g. BUT 4g isnt everywhere yet so you'll likely only get 3g speeds

the hydro has no recovery so it sucks if you're looking to mod.
personal favorite manufacturer is samsung because i have yet to see any samsung device without a working recovery and a dozen custom roms floating around. if you have the cash, get the s2. the rush is my second choice when it comes to modding.

Upvote 0
Yeah, been really looking at the s2. I work offshore south all, and CD a is not very good. Hell, nothing is really. Att and Verizon are on a booster, with some sprint bleed over. Hoping the wimax might give me a decent signal. I now have a little 3g, but its spotty. Tried everything. Sprint customers, no roaming, do a lil better. So blow the extra $100 for the s2, or HTC me... lol

Upvote 0
The SGS2 is a great phone with a large user base that will continue to develop for a while. I love my S2 ... but one thing ...

DON'T overpay for your S2. Prices should be under $300 soon, DO NOT pay the $370 asking price.

If I were looking for a new phone I would try to learn more about the LG Mach, similar specs to the S2 with a sliding QWERTY.

Upvote 0
It's listed for 299 now, and I really don't Luke a slider keyboard... just seems like extra weight and more to break to me.
Thanks for the opinions guys, gonna end up with one of the 4g phones, and hope for better reception at work. I'll let you know how it pans out.:sly::screwy:

Upvote 0
If your going to be spending $300+ on a phone you might as well get a Nexus 4 when it comes back in stock and use it on either T-Mobiles $30 a month or one of Straight Talks plans on ATT's towers if you need more than 100 mins or your area has bad TM coverage. and since its a GSM phone you can always switch carriers if you need to.

Upvote 0
If your going to be spending $300+ on a phone you might as well get a Nexus 4 when it comes back in stock and use it on either T-Mobiles $30 a month or one of Straight Talks plans on ATT's towers if you need more than 100 mins or your area has bad TM coverage. and since its a GSM phone you can always switch carriers if you need to.

I am torn on this, the Nexus 4 seems a great phone but I have read about some quality issues. Also the permanent battery and no SDcard are issues with me.

That being said, I would prolly have bought the Nexus 4 and tried a GSM/HSPA carrier knowing I could return to Boost at any time; the Nexus 4 specs/price/updates are too much to ignore.

The Nexus is direct from Google so you get every new Android version almost instantly.

Upvote 0
I am torn on this, the Nexus 4 seems a great phone but I have read about some quality issues. Also the permanent battery and no SDcard are issues with me.

That being said, I would prolly have bought the Nexus 4 and tried a GSM/HSPA carrier knowing I could return to Boost at any time; the Nexus 4 specs/price/updates are too much to ignore.

The Nexus is direct from Google so you get every new Android version almost instantly.

I've had my 16 gig since nov 29th and I haven't had any problems with it. battery life for me has been awesome too, with heavy use it seems to last longer than the prevail/marquee did.

Upvote 0
How's that working out for you??

good

Screenshot_2012-12-21-16-56-48.png

thats what I get from my house which is at like the worst area in my town for data lol, the other side of town I get around 6 mbps. I saw some cities people are getting 20/30 mbps.

Upvote 0
i want that phone as well but cant gey contract so yea

I think these are prepay options. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, that does sound pretty Beast, but IMO the other carriers will never hold a matchstick to Boost, I've tried other carriers and I always find myself going back to Boost... :p

Lol no way bro :)..I'd have to disagree ..boost is cool and all because of its affordable monthly prices..but I use a GS3 on AT&T and I have gotten data speeds as high as 57mbs down and 15-20mbs up..service everywhere..and just like blood was saying, gsm phones are easy to swap between carriers..for example I could buy the tmo phones and pop my sim into it..and blood could buy att phones and pop his sim into it..or you can buy unlocked phones directly from Google..So you end up with a huge phone selection to choose from at all times..and you choose from the two best carriers on the market..

http://db.tt/99HUQggr

Upvote 0
While I can respect what you're saying I will NEVER go back to GSM phones, #1 reason being is they're also the easiest target for getting stolen, I don't like the thought of that, at least if you have a CDMA phone that phone is locked to your carrier and if stolen it can be shut down and not used at that point, with GSM phones you steal the phone take the sim card out throw it away and put yours in no one will even know, so yeah you could NOT get me to go with GSM phones at all... as far as the data speeds for the GS3 you can get the same speeds out of the GS2 on Boost Mobile through Sprint's network so what's the difference other than the GS3 being a slightly better phone??

Lol..we will have to agree to disagree my friend.

i have had sprint and boost..and virgin for that matter..i have had 3g,4g and lte phones under sprint..and never seen those kinds of speeds..not that its not possible..and i wouldn't dare call anyone a liar..but i would have to see proof of said speeds under sprints network..i had the evo lte, and live in metro DC area..and was lucky to pull 10-15 mbs down..

Upvote 0
While I can respect what you're saying I will NEVER go back to GSM phones, #1 reason being is they're also the easiest target for getting stolen, I don't like the thought of that, at least if you have a CDMA phone that phone is locked to your carrier and if stolen it can be shut down and not used at that point, with GSM phones you steal the phone take the sim card out throw it away and put yours in no one will even know, so yeah you could NOT get me to go with GSM phones at all... as far as the data speeds for the GS3 you can get the same speeds out of the GS2 on Boost Mobile through Sprint's network so what's the difference other than the GS3 being a slightly better phone??

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mobile_Station_Equipment_Identity

www.pcworld.com/article/253808/3g_and_4g_wireless_speed_showdown_which_networks_are_fastest_.html

Reactions: johnny424
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones