1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

upgrade first line on family plan: $10 fee on second line?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by cobalt, May 20, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Well-Known Member

Howdy, knowledgeable forum-goers!

I've got two smartphones on a family plan, but I'm not currently paying the $10 monthly fee on either. If I look at my current plan online, it says Premium Data Fee: $0, so I'm grandfathered in on both lines.

The main line is eligible for the early full upgrade (premiere gold). If I upgrade the phone, presumably I need to re-up the contract for another two years, and I'll need to start paying the $10 fee for the upgraded phone.

Since I have to renew the contract, will the second line also need to start paying the fee, or will it remain grandfathered for a $0 fee?

(Sorry for what's probably an obvious question, but I had trouble finding a solid answer so far.)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sikclown

sikclown Android Expert

If you are buying a new phone on the second line that requires a $10 fee then yes. If you aren't changing anything about the second line then no.

What do you mean you are Grandfathered in? What phone do you currently have?

cobalt likes this.
  3. cobalt

cobalt Well-Known Member

I didn't say what phone I had because I was too embarrassed: I haven't upgraded my Samsung Moment yet! :eek: Actually, I'm just kidding -- my Moment has been reasonably good compared to others' experiences around here. For example, the 2.1 upgrade gave me a huge battery life improvement. I'm a little gun-shy about going Samsung again, though. I'd still have upgraded to a new phone by now, but I decided I could wait a few extra months for the EVO3D or similar.

Thanks for the info! -- that's basically what I expected but didn't want to be surprised when I walked into the store in (crossing my fingers) a couple weeks. My plan is to upgrade just one line to the EVO3D right now; the second line we can wait on until the 2-yr date. I was just wondering if the mere fact that I was upgrading one line would give them a reason to charging me for all "premium data" lines on the contract.

("Grandfathered" probably isn't quite the perfect word here. I simply meant that had I bought them with a new contract after Sprint's changes January 30, Sprint would have charged the $10 monthly fee for both phones.)

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I guarantee you will pay the $10 premium data charge on both lines if you go with any newer smart phone.

I had "unlimited data" included in my plan for years.. through every type of phone... including the Hero ... until I got the EVO... then they made me pay the $10 per line.. :/