• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade from At&T Iphone

Lordlogan

May 22, 2011
So i have an Iphone 3G and I feel like upgrading it so yesterday i looked and noticed a lot of android phones free or under 100 but today i look and everything that was free yesterday is .01 - 20 dollars today? why is that?

I've had my Iphone 3g for 2 years and 5 months

Any suggestions to which phone to upgrade to? With reasons and price to?

Thank you - Logan

Reactions: Kairosgrammy
Yea thats how ATT works. The prices will fluctuate weekly if not daily. Gotta get em while theyre hot!! LOL

As far as phones to get: I am personally an advocate for the Inspire 4G. It is 100 for new customers, not sure how much for you (best buy is selling it for $0.00 with a contract extension). It doesnt have the best of battery life but in the small amount of experience ive had its been VERY fast and I personally love Sense UI.

These are the two answers you are likely to get the most:

1. GOSH man!! we cant decide on a phone for you. Just go play with them and choose one you like...and leave us alone (Which is half true. I, personally, like to hear some anecdotal experiences from others)

2. ZOMG get the Atrix, best phone on AT&T ever. (Its a darn good device tho
! just not what some make it to be.)

Also, the Captivate is still a good buy and the TouchWiz interface will be an easy transition from iPhone. Also, Samsung makes [arguably] the best display in the business.

Reactions: Lordlogan
Upvote 0
Yea thats how ATT works. The prices will fluctuate weekly if not daily. Gotta get em while theyre hot!! LOL

As far as phones to get: I am personally an advocate for the Inspire 4G. It is 100 for new customers, not sure how much for you (best buy is selling it for $0.00 with a contract extension). It doesnt have the best of battery life but in the small amount of experience ive had its been VERY fast and I personally love Sense UI.

These are the two answers you are likely to get the most:

1. GOSH man!! we cant decide on a phone for you. Just go play with them and choose one you like...and leave us alone (Which is half true. I, personally, like to hear some anecdotal experiences from others)

2. ZOMG get the Atrix, best phone on AT&T ever. (Its a darn good device tho
! just not what some make it to be.)

Also, the Captivate is still a good buy and the TouchWiz interface will be an easy transition from iPhone. Also, Samsung makes [arguably] the best display in the business.

Thank you, i was considering the Captivate but it is a hundred new, which is the same price as a refurbished atrix or new inspire so i don't know if i can justify buying an older phone for so much more when yesterday it was fifty

Upvote 0
So i have an Iphone 3G and I feel like upgrading it so yesterday i looked and noticed a lot of android phones free or under 100 but today i look and everything that was free yesterday is .01 - 20 dollars today? why is that?

I've had my Iphone 3g for 2 years and 5 months

Any suggestions to which phone to upgrade to? With reasons and price to?

Thank you - Logan

i would imagine it would depend on which carrier you want to go with...
if that is not an issue then i would suggest in no specific order...
1. htc evo (it may be a slightly "old" phone but it ROCKS... especially if you're coming from the iphone... you wouldn't be disappointed..
2. htc thunderbolt - perhaps the evo on steroids....
3. or hold out for the evo 3d...
(can you tell that i love my evo...:D)

EDIT - my bad, after rereading your original op, you did say UPGRADE, so guess you're stickin' with att... not sure what they have to offer in phones but HTC puts out an outstanding product...

Upvote 0
i would imagine it would depend on which carrier you want to go with...
if that is not an issue then i would suggest in no specific order...
1. htc evo (it may be a slightly "old" phone but it ROCKS... especially if you're coming from the iphone... you wouldn't be disappointed..
2. htc thunderbolt - perhaps the evo on steroids....
3. or hold out for the evo 3d...
(can you tell that i love my evo...:D)

Haha i have to stay on At&t though

Upvote 0
Thank you, i was considering the Captivate but it is a hundred new, which is the same price as a refurbished atrix or new inspire so i don't know if i can justify buying an older phone for so much more when yesterday it was fifty

Yea thats the gamble with ATT. If you upgrade through BEst Buy Mobile, it is priced at 29.99. But like i said, their (BestBuy) website is listing the Inspire as FREE. So the Inspire is still the better deal. If you have time to wait and some more budget, the SGS2 (Attain) and Nexus S should be making their respective paths to ATT soon.

Upvote 0
Yea thats the gamble with ATT. If you upgrade through BEst Buy Mobile, it is priced at 29.99. But like i said, their (BestBuy) website is listing the Inspire as FREE. So the Inspire is still the better deal. If you have time to wait and some more budget, the SGS2 (Attain) and Nexus S should be making their respective paths to ATT soon.

Will my unlimited data still be grandfathered from my iphone if i switch to 4 g and is there any price difference that you know about?

I doubt 4G is very good around here 3G isnt very good so if i have to pay muc more or lose my unlimited ill just go to the captivate

Upvote 0
Will my unlimited data still be grandfathered from my iphone if i switch to 4 g and is there any price difference that you know about?

I doubt 4G is very good around here 3G isnt very good so if i have to pay muc more or lose my unlimited ill just go to the captivate

im pretty sure they dont actually charge you more and they shouldnt because ATT 4G is just 3G with a Turbo.

As for your unlimited data, idk......lol

Upvote 0

Yes you can keep your unlimited data plan as long as you go from smartphone to smartphone ( iPhone or Android) my husband just went from 3gs to Inspire($30 @ radioshack with upgrade and activation fee waived but I got ATT store to price match cause I was too lazy to drive to radioshack) and was able to keep his unltd plan and I have switched phones about 5 times since they got rid of the unltd plan and I still have mine. And it remains at the $30 price per month. There is the rare case where it accidentally gets removed during the upgrade process but a quick call to ATT and a claim ticket opened will result with it being added back on ( had to do this for one of my other lines)

For the price you can get a new inspire for I don't think it can be beat. (Heard radioshack is getting a red inspire too)

ATT doesn't really have 4g yet more like 3.5g. I had the captivate, actually still do, and the inspire is far better with less problems. The only thing I loved about my captivate was the screen absolutely beautiful colors.

Upvote 0
No it only extends the contract on that number not the entire plan. The only fee would be for activation. Everything else should stay the same including your current data plan ( only the name of the data plan will change from iPhone data to smartphone 4g personal data, if you have unltd then that you can keep)

And activation is 18 dollars right?

Upvote 0
And activation is 18 dollars right?

I want to say yes cause I know that's what ATT charges but radioshack is $36 and I haven't upgraded at a best buy since I had a palm centro and can't remember what the fee was but I want to say it was $18. I don't think I would have paid $36 to activate I would have gone else where for the phone.

Upvote 0
Lord Logan - You'll love the inspire. And fees should be minimal if any.
The Inspire is a very Good phone, the only other phone i would consider is the Captivate.
The Captivate has a 4" AMOLED screen, Hummingbird 1ghz processor, and 16GB memory. Relative to the Inspire, the Captivate has:
Better:
Faster GPU
More Flash
More Application Storage (2GB vs about 512MB)
AMOLED Clarity and viewing angles
Plays more types of video & audio, and features a stellar audio chip.
Slimmer build, smaller build.
Worse:
Smaller display (this may be better if you prefer 4.0" to 4.3")
Slightly lower effective resolution (around 640x400)
No HTC Sense UI
$99 new instead of $69 new

They are both even competitors. They both are stupendous phones and it really comes down to the details. For me the biggest advantage is the storage; the Captivate comes with 16GB of it, with 1.5GB available out of the box for applications and 13.5GB available for media. The Inspire comes with 512MB out of the box for applications and about 3GB for multimedia. Both are expandable, with up to 32GB of additional storage available. The Captivate even lets you swap microSDHC expansion cards with the phone on, allowing effectively unlimited storage.

So anyway, i would recommend carefully weighing your options. They both rock as phones, and i've used both.
As far as fees, i believe AT&T charges no fees specific to a family plan, but prices can be different for the phones. Whatever price is quoted when you choose to upgrade your line is the correct one, most likely.

Upvote 0
They are both even competitors. They both are stupendous phones and it really comes down to the details. For me the biggest advantage is the storage; the Captivate comes with 16GB of it, with 1.5GB available out of the box for applications and 13.5GB available for media. The Inspire comes with 512MB out of the box for applications and about 3GB for multimedia. Both are expandable, with up to 32GB of additional storage available. The Captivate even lets you swap microSDHC expansion cards with the phone on, allowing effectively unlimited storage.

Im not sure where you got the numbers for the inspire because built in the inspire has 4gb but 3gb goes straight to the SENSE UI/preloaded att junk, leaving only 1gb built in for apps. As all multimedia (music/videos/pics etc) is automatically saved to the 8gb microsd card included. The camera/video recorder on the phone will not even take a picture/video without an sd card inserted. Also I can swap the sd card in my inspire with the phone on, since the battery compartment is separate from the sim/sd compartment opening one doesnt effect the other.

Upvote 0
Lord Logan - You'll love the inspire. And fees should be minimal if any.
The Inspire is a very Good phone, the only other phone i would consider is the Captivate.
The Captivate has a 4" AMOLED screen, Hummingbird 1ghz processor, and 16GB memory. Relative to the Inspire, the Captivate has:
Better:
Faster GPU
More Flash
More Application Storage (2GB vs about 512MB)
AMOLED Clarity and viewing angles
Plays more types of video & audio, and features a stellar audio chip.
Slimmer build, smaller build.
Worse:
Smaller display (this may be better if you prefer 4.0" to 4.3")
Slightly lower effective resolution (around 640x400)
No HTC Sense UI
$99 new instead of $69 new

So anyway, i would recommend carefully weighing your options. They both rock as phones, and i've used both.
As far as fees, i believe AT&T charges no fees specific to a family plan, but prices can be different for the phones. Whatever price is quoted when you choose to upgrade your line is the correct one, most likely.

Is the Inspire laggy though thats a biggest worry?

I'm not very appy

Upvote 0
My husband just got an inspire so he plays with it a lot and without any real tweaking fussing with screen brightness etc he gets about 13-15hrs before he has to charge it (not dead but maybe around 15% he plugs it in). On my inspire I usually average 15-18hrs that's with Bluetooth off until I need it and screen brightness turned down gps off until I need it. I usually leave WiFi on

Upvote 0
My husband just got an inspire so he plays with it a lot and without any real tweaking fussing with screen brightness etc he gets about 13-15hrs before he has to charge it (not dead but maybe around 15% he plugs it in). On my inspire I usually average 15-18hrs that's with Bluetooth off until I need it and screen brightness turned down gps off until I need it. I usually leave WiFi on

Alright thank you very much for all this i'm almost positive i will be getting the inspire I always keep Brightness down on anything because i prefer it that way

12 hours is really what i'd like to get out of it and right now i haveto squeeze for 8 on my iphone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones