• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade from iPhone, sync easily

Hi all,

Having nightmare time with my HTC One, moved from iPhone 4/iTunes which worked flawlessly.

HTC Sync Manager keeps crashing/closing with no error message. Get the splash screen, the main program, then finding media and then closes. When I attach the phone it loads then says the phone is locked (which it is not) and crashes (no error message).

I cannot sync any contacts, calanders, music - although it did briefly get some contacts over at one stage.

Support have no idea and say this has never happened before. They got me to uninstall all HTC elements and reinstall without any firewall, AV and offline (net). No luck.

I have Windows 7 64 bit with a quad core 8GB RAM.

Would really love to get this phone working. iTunes worked without any issues. I get the feeling HTC Sync Manager is not the best programmed in the world...

Thanks everyone.

Hello and welcome.

Moved your question here since you are an ifruit convert (welcome again! ;) ) and this thread is for help with users looking to sync their info across two different platforms.

check these topics or also:

http://androidforums.com/htc-one/712116-usb-mass-storage-help-issues-connecting-devices.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-one/713823-how-transfer-files-over-htc-one.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-one/715815-usb-debugging-automatically-comes-mac-win-users.html

you can avoid htc sync manager altogether and use a wireless solution such as wifi file explorer pro.

ive never used htc sync and i am a htc user since before htc sync was even born.

smoke this thread over also for more tips and clues.

Again, welcome aboard!

Upvote 0
I just upgraded to the HTC One (my first Android device) from the iPhone 4S and have run into two problems:
(1) I used Google Play to upload my music from iTunes, and only 205 songs out of 692 songs were uploaded. Then I tried using iSyncr for iTunes and ran into the same difficulty. Hundreds of songs were listed as a "non-copyable file." After paying $1.29 per song this is a huge waste.
Can anyone help me out with this?

(2) My car's Bluetooth will not recognize the HTC One so I cannot make hands free calls or play music through my car's sound system. ( I drive a 2012 VW Passat.). I called VW customer service and they said the One was not yet a compatible device and they could not tell me if or when it will be.

I did not count on these problems when I got the One. Aside from these, I love the phone and its excellent capabilities. I have 14 days to return it and go back to the iPhone.
Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Your iTunes-purchased music is free of DRM, but Apple encoded your account details into each song for tracing purposes in the event of piracy.

Although you're doing nothing wrong, near as I can tell, Google is sensing that header information and rejecting the copy because they can't verify you're the owner.

Yeah - I know.

Do you have a Dropbox account? You may be able to place them there and play them with another music player or sync them that way.

Once upon a time, iTunes music did have DRM, but that was a while ago and the songs were 99 cents.

Your alternative is to convert them into MP3 files. Help in iTunes will explain how using a cd drive, and you can skip the plastic by searching for a virtual cd drive for your pc (Windows or Mac) - you can find those for free. That ought to allow the upload to Google.

Don't know about cars and Bluetooth.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I have actually swapped from an iPhone 5 to an HTC One and the sync from iPhone backup was pretty easy once I could get the crappy HTC Sync Manager program to stop crashing on me. I have got all my text messages, calendar appointments, pictures and contacts straight from my iPhone. A great feature that needs a better front end to make it even more effortless.

Me too, but what about music from iTunes?

Thanks for your help. I will try that, but the prospect of losing nearly $630 worth of music from iTunes would be a deal-breaker.

Upvote 0
No. The songs that would not transfer were all purchased through iTunes.

Ah, hence my confusion - mine were purchased directly to my Mac.

OK, if Scootmein or another with the same experience doesn't answer first, I'll be looking for another solution for you.

Last questions - Windows, OS X or Linux? If not Linux, are you using iTunes on your PC?

Edit (posts merged) -

Okay, I remembered doing this sort of thing a few years ago on my iPod.

See, including the comments -

http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/04/transfer-music-from-iphone-ipod-or-ipad-to-computer/

Or -

http://i-funbox.com/

I think I used that one, can't recall for certain.

If the problem persists once it's all on your PC, see my earlier advice for transcoding to MP3 files.

Both are good for Mac or Windows.

Upvote 0
Ah, hence my confusion - mine were purchased directly to my Mac.

OK, if Scootmein or another with the same experience doesn't answer first, I'll be looking for another solution for you.

Last questions - Windows, OS X or Linux? If not Linux, are you using iTunes on your PC?

Edit (posts merged) -

Okay, I remembered doing this sort of thing a few years ago on my iPod.

See, including the comments -

Transfer Music from iPhone, iPod, or iPad to a Computer

Or -

iFunBox for Windows | File Manager, Browser, Explorer, Transferer for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

I think I used that one, can't recall for certain.

If the problem persists once it's all on your PC, see my earlier advice for transcoding to MP3 files.

Both are good for Mac or Windows.

I use Windows 7 Home Edition. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Here is an update that I hope will help others who are moving from iPhone to Android. I found a great, simple, FREE app that syncs all the music in iTunes to Android quickly and easily. It's called Easy Phone Tunes. You have to download it to your PC or Mac, and then on your HTC device. Plug in the One with a USB cable and press "synchronize" and ALL my music was transferred, including all purchased songs.

I also managed to connect my HTC One with my car's Bluetooth. I restarted the phone and tried to connect again, and it worked.
So all is good. Thanks for the help and advice.

Upvote 0
Guys I'm looking at switching from iPhone and iTunes to a HTC One but I have a lot of questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with

1) how do I get my iTunes bought music, movies and TV shows to Android? Does it also do it in the cloud? I listen to my music in the cloud over AppleTV also some TV shows and renting over AppleTV how does this work with Android? Do I need to buy another device for this? And how does music play back sound compared to AppleTV?

2) What is Android comparable iTunes how does this work in Canada? I have no real clue? Is it google play? Does google play in Canada offer cloud base streaming for movies, TV shows and music like iTunes? Is it quality as good?

3) one feature I really like in the HTC One is the sense tv app any Canadians know if this fully works with all the Canadian companies? Bell, Telus, Shaw ect

I'm kinda Android dumb and trying to find out if switch is going to be painful or make things more difficult than what I'm used to with iTunes and apple like turn on appleTV easily access movies, music tv shows or if iTunes in Canada has any leg up on Android serves?

Upvote 0
1: Download music from iCloud to your machine, you can upload it to play music. Get your iTunes data and when you bought HTC One simply copy and paste it into your new phones' memory like pen drive.

2: Yes, Google play has its own services for streaming music, moves and all.

Its not like you will be in a mess while switching, once you are done transferring you won't feel any problem. But finding your data where iTunes stores on your machine is bit of mess.

Upvote 0
On a PC, iTunes stores most things under My Music / iTunes (from memory ;)). I usually navigate to that folder and use search to find all the *.MP3 and so on.

There is a Google TV which I guess does what AppleTV does.

To be fair, I suspect you would find that Android devices don't work together quite as seamlessly as Apple's.

Upvote 0
Guys I'm looking at switching from iPhone and iTunes to a HTC One but I have a lot of questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with

1) how do I get my iTunes bought music, movies and TV shows to Android? Does it also do it in the cloud? I listen to my music in the cloud over AppleTV also some TV shows and renting over AppleTV how does this work with Android? Do I need to buy another device for this? And how does music play back sound compared to AppleTV?

2) What is Android comparable iTunes how does this work in Canada? I have no real clue? Is it google play? Does google play in Canada offer cloud base streaming for movies, TV shows and music like iTunes? Is it quality as good?

3) one feature I really like in the HTC One is the sense tv app any Canadians know if this fully works with all the Canadian companies? Bell, Telus, Shaw ect

I'm kinda Android dumb and trying to find out if switch is going to be painful or make things more difficult than what I'm used to with iTunes and apple like turn on appleTV easily access movies, music tv shows or if iTunes in Canada has any leg up on Android serves?

Your music will be no problem, see the many helpful posts in this thread.

Once you copy your music to the Google cloud, the same basic concepts work that you're familiar with, just the apps change, Google Play is the case in point.

Google Play offers a number of services for movies and music. I *believe* most are OK for Canada. Netflix will give you trouble.

Any TV shows or movies purchased from iTunes will only play on Apple devices due to DRM.

http://ipod.about.com/od/advanceditunesuse/a/Itunes-Android-What-Works-And-What-Does-Not.htm

Upvote 0
Greetings everyone.

First, I must say that I love my new HTC one phone. It is an amazing and very sexy machine. I was using lphones since day 1 but decided to make the switch recently after a friend of mine converted. I have been having some frustrating things happen to me since the switch tho, and I would know what happened and how to avoid this again if you guys could help me.

First of all, I seem to have lost all my contacts in my phone after I removed a gmail account from my phone. That gmail account was work related and it was annoying me, so I removed it and next thing I know... I lost ALL my contacts/people. I tried resyncing this email account after and no go... still no contact. I rebooted the phone, nothing. So I took time to manually put all my contacts in there with pictures and details and I lost ALL of them. Very frustrating. I do not want my phone contacts to depend on anything else than the phone. If I remove an app or an email account I dont want to lose my contacts... How stupid is that ?

Second thing : I try to sinc my Hotmail account in my phone. All the infos are correct. I then go into the '' mail '' app and it says the phone has sent a confirmation email to my hotmail account. Guess what ? I never receive it! I waited for days and never got it. Not in junk. Not anywhere. I re-did my hotmail account again, still the same thing. It says it sent a confirmation email to my hotmail account but I never receive it.

I know these are problably small things for you guys but to me this is very frustrating...

Upvote 0
Hi Emezim, and welcome to AF :)

Sorry to hear about these problems. I can only guess that you'd stored the contacts as belonging to that GMail account, so removing the account removed the data associated with it, including the contacts. I'm surprised that you couldn't just restore them by re-adding the account though.

It is possible to set up contacts to be phone only, in which case they'd not depend on any account. You need to select contact type "phone" when adding the contact. The default contact type will be "google", so you would need to spot this and change it.

I'm afraid I know nothing about Hotmail, and actually don't use the built-in email client, as I was using a 3rd party email app with my previous phone and saw no need to switch. Hopefully someone can advise on that.

Upvote 0
Greetings everyone.

First, I must say that I love my new HTC one phone. It is an amazing and very sexy machine.

Second thing : I try to sinc my Hotmail account in my phone. All the infos are correct. I then go into the '' mail '' app and it says the phone has sent a confirmation email to my hotmail account. Guess what ? I never receive it! I waited for days and never got it. Not in junk. Not anywhere. I re-did my hotmail account again, still the same thing. It says it sent a confirmation email to my hotmail account but I never receive it.

I know these are problably small things for you guys but to me this is very frustrating...

Hi, I'm not sure if I can help with your Hotmail, but I'll try. I have two Hotmail accounts set up in my stock mail app (hotmail.com and hotmail.co.uk), both are currently set up as 'Other (POP3/IMAP)' and both are working ok. They will also work if set up as Microsoft Exchange Active Sync or Outlook.com accounts. In all cases it is only necessary to enter your Hotmail address & password, the mail app will pick up the correct server details automatically if you select 'Next' after entering your address/password.

How have you set your account up ? I don't understand what you mean about the mail app sending a confirmation email - I've not come across that when setting up any of my accounts in the stock mail app.

Perhaps you could give some more details of the procedure you have followed.

I've just had a thought about your contacts issue - if you haven't already done so, it may be worth making sure you have the appropriate sources ticked in your 'Sources list'. If a source isn't ticked, the contacts won't display. When you're in the people app tap on 'Phonebook' at the top left.

:)

Upvote 0
Since switching to an HTC ONE from iPhone, have had nothing but problems.

Phone had low light problem, so sent back for repair, now has come back, that problem has been fixed.

However, backed up phone using HTC Sync Manager before sending phone in, but now after restore, I can't find my Notes.

My pictures/music/apps all restored ok, so where are my notes? Even Apple restores your notes if you do a restoration.

Please don't tell me HTC doesn't back them up?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones