• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade From N95 8gig - 3 Network

Hi all my contract is due to end February 2010 but I have been told by 3 that I can upgarde now so I was looking for some advise at the moment I use my N95 mainly just for texting and calls I use the internet to check facebook but not very often as the internet on the N95 is just crap, my missis as a iPhone 3G which I spend a lot of time on the internet and games such as Zynga Poker, Zynga Mafia Wars & other games like Championship Manager (does the HTC Hero have these games ?) so on my new phone I would really like to use it mainly for emails, internet and games (apps) and quite a lot of texting I dont really use the camera that often, so what would you recommend upgrading now to something like the HTC Hero or waiting till the start of next year and switching to a 3GS on Orange or wait to see what comes out early next year ?

Or should I wait to see if the new Motorola Milestone comes out on 3 ?

Hi all my contract is due to end February 2010 but I have been told by 3 that I can upgarde now so I was looking for some advise at the moment I use my N95 mainly just for texting and calls I use the internet to check facebook but not very often as the internet on the N95 is just crap, my missis as a iPhone 3G which I spend a lot of time on the internet and games such as Zynga Poker, Zynga Mafia Wars & other games like Championship Manager (does the HTC Hero have these games ?) so on my new phone I would really like to use it mainly for emails, internet and games (apps) and quite a lot of texting I dont really use the camera that often, so what would you recommend upgrading now to something like the HTC Hero or waiting till the start of next year and switching to a 3GS on Orange or wait to see what comes out early next year ?

Or should I wait to see if the new Motorola Milestone comes out on 3 ?

There are some good games on the Hero, but as far as I know not those ones. I may be wrong though. It's good for internet stuff though; email etc. If you can find someone who has one ask if you can have a play with it, otherwuse maybe read some reviews online and watch some videos.

When it comes to the iphone vs the Hero it's really subjective; different things work for different people. For me I prefer the open-ness of Androoid, plus all the shiny things HTC has added to it. Especially the homescreens. The mesaging widgets might be useful to you.

Oh, and the Motorola milestone looks really nice. (it's called trhe Droid in America and I don't know why they didn't call it that here but never mind)

Bottom line; don't rush to make a decision. :)

Upvote 0
Its not great for games yet, I'd expect this to change pretty soon though. It doesn't have commercial games like Championship manager (btw how can you play that on a phone man, FM2010 all the way!)

There will probably be better phones out by the time your contract finishes, its up to you really. I upgraded with 2 months to go but thats only because I didnt have a smart phone, if I did I would probably have waited till my contract ends. Having said that theres always going to be a better phone round the corner anyway.

Upvote 0
I upgraded halfway through my contract with Vodafone by buying my Hero unlocked.

Never regretted it, as I am able to do so much more than on my old N95.

Though, if I were you, I would wait a little longer for the new HTC phone that may come out early next year. Though, I could never wait patiently!

Upvote 0
I upgraded halfway through my contract with Vodafone by buying my Hero unlocked.

Never regretted it, as I am able to do so much more than on my old N95.

Though, if I were you, I would wait a little longer for the new HTC phone that may come out early next year. Though, I could never wait patiently!

What new HTC phone is this then ?

Upvote 0
HI Red, I also came to the Hero on 3 via my N95 8Gig and I love the phone.
Its weird with the contacts, when I put my Sim in any phone All of my contacts has transferred, I have noticed that after putting my Sim (about 2 or so weeks ago) in the Hero Not all of my contacts are on the phone and some only the home numbers and others just the mobile numbers.
Its Strange but I still Love My Hero. :)
1 do think though that HTC are Mean and Cheap not supplying us with a user manual like others, I cant afford that amount of Paper to print the damn thing off, Tightwads. :D

Peace,
Andrew.

Cheers for all you help guys but I am know the proud owner of a Hero, I went into 3 and they offered me the phone with 500mins, unlimeted texts & data for

Upvote 0
It depends if your contacts are on your old phone or your old sim card.

If on the sim card just put your old sim into the hero and and copy them from the sim card to the phone.

If they are on the old phone and you still have it (i sold mine as part of the deal), then stick in your old sim card and copy them to that sim, then follow the advice above (or try putting your new sim in your old phone?)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones