• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2-830F

justamel

Nov 16, 2021
Canada
I have the above listed Lenovo tablet and have looked for update/upgrade files on Lenovo sites, but it seems there are none.
I would like to know if there are other sources for the appropriate software.??? The details of this tablet are as follows:

Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2-830F (purchased in 2016)
Intel Z3745 Quad-Core Processor
Originally: Android 4.4 - did update to Ver. 5.0.1
Software Ver. 2-830F_ 210617

This is the system info. displayed on the tablet.

Any suggestions??

Sorry I haven't replied to these replies/discussion. The initial replies indicated that it is a "deadend" for upgrading this tablet. The reason I would like to upgrade/update the tablet is that as of now I can not access my email provider. When I try to log-in the message is "upgrade my browser" but there is not an upgrade available for Firefox or for Chromium. As of now I have not checked for access to my bank account but I suspect I will get same result. Have been busy with other things lately.

The discussion that has been posted is informative for me; I know only a wee bit about operating systems, etc. :-(( I logged on today to ask if it might be possible to remove the whole opsys. and install something else. I did this with old computers running Win 95, etc. and installed various Linux distributions, but I have not kept current on doing this sort of thing.

Guess that is a "long enough" explanation of my reason for "upgrading" the tablet.

Upvote 0
Sorry I haven't replied to these replies/discussion. The initial replies indicated that it is a "deadend" for upgrading this tablet. The reason I would like to upgrade/update the tablet is that as of now I can not access my email provider. When I try to log-in the message is "upgrade my browser" but there is not an upgrade available for Firefox or for Chromium. As of now I have not checked for access to my bank account but I suspect I will get same result. Have been busy with other things lately.

The discussion that has been posted is informative for me; I know only a wee bit about operating systems, etc. :-(( I logged on today to ask if it might be possible to remove the whole opsys. and install something else. I did this with old computers running Win 95, etc. and installed various Linux distributions, but I have not kept current on doing this sort of thing.

Guess that is a "long enough" explanation of my reason for "upgrading" the tablet.
You have Android 5, right? The latest version of Firefox still works on Android 5, so it's odd that you'd get an "upgrade your browser" error on Firefox. Maybe the website is really objecting to your Android version, not your browser version. Perhaps you could change your user agent, and make your e-mail website think you're running Android 12 (or whatever the latest Android is). And consider switching e-mail providers, shutting you off from your e-mail like this is highly unprofessional behavior!

Regardless, you may attempt to install those two Android distributions I linked to above. Your computer would be more secure on an Android version that still gets security updates. That said: There's no guarantee those distributions will work properly on your tablet, most notably, the touch-screen may not work. But you could try it. Just make sure you can revert back to the Android 5 distribution your tablet currently has! You don't want to be stuck on a system without a working touchscreen.

Does your tablet have a keyboard attachment, allowing you to use it as a tablet? If so, you could install Linux and use it as a laptop. Or if you're feeling industrious, you could have both Linux and Android (i.e. duel-boot). On my Surface Go, I have both Windows and Android. Juggling two diffident operating systems on the same computer can be a pain, I wouldn't recommend it to a casual computer user! But I find it nice to have a proper desktop/laptop OS when using my computer as a laptop, and a proper tablet OS when using my computer as a tablet.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

are you logging into your email via your browser or are you launching your email app when it tells you to upgrade the browser? what email provider are you using?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones