1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Upgrade main line of family plan early?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Thepackfan, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Thepackfan

Thepackfan Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2010
    Texas
    Last year before i purchased my incredible, i read in this forum that you could upgrade your main line of a family plan after one year, but you would lose your new every two. Well one year later i drop my incredible and shatter the screen.

Does anyone know if this is still possible.

I know that i can attempt a screen replacement myself.... But the bionic sounds like a better way to go :).

THX

Advertisement

2. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    I'm the account holder on my 5 line family plan, and when I switched to Verizon in '08, I was able to upgrade my line after a year, everyone else had to wait two. After I upgraded to the Droid, I fell back into a two year contract.

If this has been your first year with Verizon, you'll get an upgrade no prob. If not, you may be screwed. No insurance, I take it?

3. Thepackfan

Thepackfan Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2010
    Texas
    I've had Verizon for years. I don't usually get insurance. The last time I had problems I had a razor and they replaced after 16 months for free.while they were replacing mine I saw 2 people come up with insurance have to pay $50 to get it replaced plus the monthly fee. I figure as long as I'm careful..
    I guess I'll just go in and check after one of these new phones show
    Luckily. I had a screen protector and the phone still works great.

4. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2010
    Male
    If you replace a phone with Verizon early and you buy it at full retail, does it cancel the prior two year agreement? I mean, do you buy out of your contract that way just as if you had bought the phone at retail from the beginning?

5. Gride250

Gride250 Member
    None

Sep 15, 2010
    I am a verizon salesman. Previous of 2011 you are correct the main line on a family plan is up for a contract renewal/upgrade at the 12 month mark. However you will get the device for a marked up price compared to a full 24 month upgrade which is stupid!

A little info for you... New every 2 credits are now being discontinued. Those of you who still have them can use them. But anyone who signs a contract after january 2011 will not get those credits anymore. They are evening the playing field for 3rd party dealers and authorized retailers. Before you could only take advantage of those credits at an actual Verizon retail store.

6. Gride250

Gride250 Member
    None

Sep 15, 2010
    To answer your question, no purchasing the phone at full price does not impact your current agreement what so ever. If you pay the termination fee (buy out of your contract) your service stops.

7. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2010
    Male
    Then buying a new line and phone at the reduced price (new 2 year contract) only to cancel the existing line and phone (paying the ETF) imediately after would be the less expensive workaround. Assuming one is not very tied to the existing phone number. It seems strange through, that I could have bought the original phone at full price in the beginning(w/o a contract) for less than buying a replacement at full price and canceling before the contract is up.

I ask because if I choose to upgrade now (before I'm eligible) the option that comes up online is to buy the phone at full retail and under that price indicated the agreement would be month to month. So unless the online T&C's are different than the phone T&C's this is rather confusing...