1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General upgrade next month what next

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by malcster, Jan 3, 2012.

1. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Nottinghamshire
    I get to upgrade my DesireHD next month but not sure what to go for next

The Samsung galaxy nexus. Looks a worthy winner but lack of sd support puts me off

I also love HTC overlay of sense

Anyone know of a 4.0 from HTC due soon

Regards

Advertisement

2. SB13X

SB13X Android Expert
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    Rail Consultant
    Wigan, UK
    I'd wait to see what the Elite turns out to be like in the non-us territories. Only news so far on it is it looks like an April release in the USA but under AT&T called HTC Congressional. Nothing confirmed from HTC yet though but what is confirmed is that they won't be making as many devices this year and are even beginning the year pushing their WinMo7 releases.

3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I know the newer HTC devices (from the Sensation onwards) are promised ICS, but HTC have said nothing about the DHD.

I'm in a similar position, I'm due an upgrade, but there's nothing that grabs me at the moment. I'm desperate for them to release The Rezound over here, but hopefully we'll see some decent handsets at CES next week.

CES 2012: what to expect | News | TechRadar

4. malcster

None

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Nottinghamshire
    Might end up waiting as I want I handset that comes with 4.0

Been through the upgrade twice with HTC

Desire to 2.2
    DesireHD to 2.3

Tired of the will we won't we get the upgrade scenario getting carrier specific delays etc.
    Even my unbranded handsets were a joke

One question though
    the Samsung apparently you can't add stuff like music via storage device option how do you get music for ringtones on to it then

Regards

Malcolm

5. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2010
    London, UK
    Does anyone else think we're getting into a tricky year or so regarding upgrading? I've got another nine months to go on my contract, by which time there might be firmer dates for the rollout of 4G. I'd like to think there are other major technological changes coming along, such as improved screens which consume less power, or higher density batteries, but I've not seen any sign of those, even on the horizon.

So, although there might be a few 'nice to have' new features which could tempt me to upgrade when the time comes, I suspect it'll make more sense for me to wait for the 4G rollout. If you get a new two-year contract right now, I'd guess you might find yourself missing out on 4G for the last six months or so of that contract, but it all sounds so vague that, in two years time, maybe nothing will have changed anyway.

6. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I know what you mean John.

The 4G thing doesn't really bother me. I live in the middle of nowhere so it'll probably take a good year or so after 4G has been tested to roll out the 4G to my area anyway.

It looks as though we're just about to see quad cores in phones and the geek in me wants one, but I don't want to be one of the first generation of users when the technology isn't properly developed yet. On the flip side, I don't want to be locked into an 18 month contract when there are new and better phones coming out left, right and centre (although that will always be the case to a certain extent).

7. malcster

None

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Nottinghamshire
    I guess the other side of the coin is what new things can the come up with for the wow factor

I suspect apple had that problem with the I phone 4s hence no real game changer this time except siri that appeals to some folks

I mean if you was designing 4.1 for example what (using current technology) would you implement in that version to move it forward
    Have we reached the limit for the time being ?

8. SUSS

SUSS Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 23, 2011
    Edinburgh, UK.
    The auction of the wavelengths is towards the end of this year, then they have to get it all set up so i dont think there will be much happening until 2014 realistically.

Not sure why we need quad core phones, all that will do is destroy the battery.

9. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'll see if I can find the technical explanation, but more cores operating at slower speeds to do the same work as 1 core operating at max speed is actually better on battery life by all accounts.

10. SB13X

SB13X Android Expert
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    Rail Consultant
    Wigan, UK
    Nvidia Tegra 3 is a quadcore processor that actually has 5 cores from what I can fathom. Four cores for when the phones being used intensively but with a minor fifth core for the background tasks and minor requests such as launcher and syncing.

malcster and El Presidente like this.
  11. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
  12. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert
    None

Aug 25, 2009
    UK
    If I had to upgrade today it would be the HTC Sensation XE