1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Upgrade now or wait?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by chrisutpg, Apr 10, 2012.

1. chrisutpg

chrisutpg Lurker

So I'm due for a upgrade. I have a couple of issues.. If it makes any difference I am rocking a OG Motto Droid.

1st, I'm grandfathered into unlimited data. But does anyone know what happens if I don't sign a new contract when my two years is up? Will I still be grandfathered in?

2nd, I own a business. So I would love to use my phone for email and such. But the OG motto can't handle email anymore. It is just super laggy. Is daul core going to be enough or should I wait for quad core perhaps the SGIII?

3rd, I am growing tired of waiting, just rumors and more rumors. However I don't want to go buy something and be screwed. Is it going to be months for new verizon phones or is it going to within a few weeks?

I really am torn between Razr Maxx and Galaxy Nexus. The main thing that is important to me is that the phone works with little or no lag. The OG motto is just so slow. Honestly the battery in the razr maxx has me leaning that way. Any other thoughts? p.s I am normally up for 16 hours a day. So the battery is huge. I should also add that they factory replaced my OG motto 3 times because of flaws. So I'm a little worried about going with another Motto.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ned4spd8874

ned4spd8874 Android Enthusiast

I am like many others, including yourself, holding out hope that Big Red will release the next big thing very soon! I have the "OG" Inc and cannot wait to upgrade! I'm making May the cut-off month...maybe June if the SIII or something similarly big is about to come out.

Sorry I can't give you too much advise, just wanted to say you are not alone with the anticipation!

chrisutpg likes this.
  3. chrisutpg

chrisutpg Lurker

Thank you! being a nerd and wanting the next big thing sucks.. haha. I just can't imagine it would be that long for big red to release the next big thing seeing as it has been a while since any high end phones from them have come out.

4. 1. If you dont sign a new contract you'll be paying retail for a new phone. That said they can't make you sign a new contract. Your plan will remain completely unchanged with the exception that you may switch carriers at any time.

2. Any phone out there right now is way faster than the og droid. Any of the dual core phones will be more than sufficient for your use. In fact, the only area that having quad core even makes a difference right now is in gaming. Cores has more to do with multi tasking than overall speed, at least until apps and programs are built to take advantage of multiple cores.

3. There is always something better coming on the horizon. That's technology. In your case any of the phones out now are a significant improvement.

IMHO Moto has some of the more reliable hardware on the market. Its never really the greatest (except that maxx battery) but is proven. The Razr maxx is a solid phone for what youre looking to use it for. Go play with one and see how you like it.

5. 91Firebirder

91Firebirder Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. I have the original Incredible and have been eligible for an upgrade since the end of January. I waited then because I really expected the announcement of the One X to VZW, but when that didn't happen, I just haven't been impressed with what VZW has to offer. I am trying to wait, very impatiently, to see what they release (high end) soon, but very well may switch carriers (Sprint HTC EVO4G LTE).

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

The dual core S4 processor is actually outperforming the quad core Tegra on benchmarks right now. Certainly plenty fast enough to do whatever you need.

7. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Android Expert

It's very difficult for someone.... anyone to tell you whether you should upgrade or not. There are so many variables.

Me, I'm waiting to see what is announced at the CTIA show in early May. I've had an upgrade available since the middle of last month but nothing available now even remotely "cranks my handle". So I'm waiting. Meanwhile my "X" is just humming along wonderfully.

Good luck whatever you decide,

8. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

Don't forget that they're going to charge you $30 to upgrade starting this Sunday.

9. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Android Expert

No, I haven't forgotten. But I'd hate to upgrade now and in one month or so they announce the phone I really want. By waiting and getting charged an extra $30 amounts to slightly over 4 cents per day over the life of a 2 year contract. I'd really hate getting saddled with a phone for 2 years I found out I didn't really want for such a small amount.

It's also possible I won't be upgrading for quite so time. So it's a gamble but my "X" is really serving me well (it's the best phone I've ever had [knock on wood here]) and I don't mind keeping it 'til the next great phone.

So I continue to wait.... patiently/impatiently,

10. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Android Enthusiast

Im playing the waiting game as well.

This is the first time that i can remember that verizon is being such tight lipped about their upcoming phones.

Usually phonearena has a bunch of upcoming / speculation phones coming out in the near future.

But there has been only 2 phones for the last 2 months in the upcoming section.

Verizon looks like its going the route of apple / samsung in the secrecy department.

11. derek533

derek533 Member

I agree. I keep reading the tech blogs hoping to hear something about an upcoming Verizon release but nothing, nada. I have never seen the drought we are seeing about upcoming phones on Verizon as I see right now. I honestly don't know what the heck is going on.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the convention in May to find out what's on the horizon and even then, we may not find out anything since the earlier convention didn't reveal anything.

I'm keeping hope for the Samsung Note aka Journal but I haven't seen a thing about it since the rumors started in January.