• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade or Keep

After this pandemic I won't be going back to my old job, which is a good thing, however with the job I had a Huawei P20 Pro, which has worked great so far. Though for some features and apps I preferred my older Samsung S5.

Now, I could see about trying to get the phone from work cheap... Save me some money, or get a plan and pay for a phone for the next 2yrs.

I'm in Canada and seems that a lot of high rated phones aren't sold through carriers like Xiaomi or even Sony. I am looking at the S10 though. Ideally, looking at this list and hoping something better.

Is the s10 that much better than the Huawei? Is there something better and cheaper?

I baby my phones and they last years and still look new. Hoping to get something to last a few years and play games on. Like marvel contest of champions. I might start video recording some guitar repairs for YouTube so decent video would be nice.

https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/b..._ES_30&deviceFilter=PHONE&displaySize=5.9,6.7

Ya, that s5 although old was a great phone, and my sister is now using it. Battery is still good, runs great.

Shame about other brands here... Xiaomi I see often in top 10 lists, and I'm a Sony fan boy, but Bell, Rogers, Koodo, Virgin, Telus... None carry either brand so can't go see one working.

Samsung S series, you can guarantee a nice crisp great looking screen.

My P20 Pro is a good size, maybe too big vs my old s5.... I like a bit smaller for holding comfort for calls. I'm 6'3" and have large hands so not a case of being small. That said I have a 10" tablet so don't need a big phone.

Part of the debate is that I use the tablet way way more so, do I need an s10 or would an a71 suffice.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Most higher end phones are pretty much the same, much comes down to the ui and even at that a lot of people just plug in their favorite launcher when they get a new phone anyway. The one thing that I do advocate to my friends are unlocked phones, they also have the plus side of not being loaded out with third party BS from the carrier.

Upvote 0
Getting a phone with the plan usually means locked and 3rd party garbage. Though can get it unlocked when contract it done.

Debated buying an unlocked phone, or even a refurbished one off Amazon but in Canada, a refurbished s10 is $870, and a new one with the 2yr contract comes out to $720. So price wise makes sense to get it with the plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones