1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Upgrade, or not to Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by derekellis, Feb 28, 2018.

1. derekellis

derekellis Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2018
    I am still running the Samsung Galaxy S5. Phone has been in an Otter box since the day after i bought it.

Is the S5 still good enough that it could be held out for some more time? Or has the new models advanced that its worth it to get the S8 or possible S9?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    If it does everything you need a phone to do, then there is no reason to toss it just because it's outdated. The only thing that I might suggest is to replace the battery since that's most likely to be degraded where it affects your user experience.

psionandy and Hadron like this.
  3. derekellis

derekellis Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2018
    I acutally replaced the battery back in January. It was getting noticably bad. The new battery works like a charm.

4. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    There you go. :)

I looked over the specs and it's still a viable device, so I wouldn't worry about it. Newer models will be faster, bigger and even prettier, but making a call, sending a text or getting directions won't be that much better.

psionandy likes this.
  5. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    Keep it.
    My S5 died on me late last year.
    Replaced it with another S5.
    I couldn't find anything that I liked better.

psionandy and tube517 like this.
  6. derekellis

derekellis Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2018
    I have been thinking of keeping it until it dies, then upgrade to maybe a used S7/8

PitCarver likes this.
  7. gufran

gufran Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2018
    My cell phon samsumg glaxy j7 any time cp crash uplod mode any time way sar plez help me

8. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Wirral, Merseyside, England
    I would keep the phone, if like me you like to be able to change a faulty battery or even carry a spare one in your pocket you won't be able to do that with the new rubbish they are trying to con us into buying now. For all the manufacturers say about built in batteries being better there is is only one reason they like them and that's because when the battery goes the phone is obsolete and you buy a new one. Phil

9. Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2018
    Male
    Industrial electrician - electronics repairs
    Greece
    After Galaxy S5 there is no Samsung upgrade path to follow if you are a wise consumer.
    I would never buy a phone that I can not replace battery by my self.
    I would never trash a 700$ or more expensive phone, because it battery not working properly any more.

Galaxy S5 still is CPU power efficient, best screen in the market, Android 6 and compatible with any apps out there.
    Battery replacement less than 20$.
    By adding screen protection and Samsung S-view wireless, this phone becomes an asset and a keeper up to 2022.

PitCarver and Jfalls63 like this.
  10. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Have to agree 100% with that statement, although it is getting harder by the day to find one. Phil

11. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    My wife has an S7 Edge and the OEM battery became swollen about a month out of warranty. Samsung wanted $90 plus shipping to fix it. I got a battery kit on Amazon for less that $20 and did it myself. It certainly wasn't as easy as sliding open a battery compartment and unplugging one battery for another, but it wasn't all the difficult if you're careful.

I know most of the flagship phones have sealed backs, but it doesn't mean you can't replace things yourself.

12. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Hi, the reason I like to be able to replace the battery is not so much replacing a dud battery but to be able to carry a fully charged one in my pocket and just pop it in the phone if needed in about one minute, they are nice and slim unlike these battery booster things. I have never put my phone on charge since I bought it, I have a wall charger and a spare battery that is always charged and just swap it over before I leave the house, then put the other one on charge. Phil

13. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Still using the S5, just recently did the update to 6.0 (lost root, boohoo). I've replaced the battery a few times, currently on an Anker battery that's been holding up well. I plan to keep it going for a while, I like the size, replaceable battery, IR blaster, the list goes on.

14. Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2018
    Male
    Greece
    Top feature of S5 this is be water resistant, any DIY repair will sacrifice this feature which is essential to me.
    Few year back I lost one good phone because water came in my pocket of my rainproof jacket, this was a 350 Euro worth Sony- Ericsson first generation with 3G -Bluetooth and Internet.
    With S5 G900F I feel safe indoor and outdoor, it is most armed mobile companion that I ever had. :)

15. Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2018
    Male
    Greece
    For us staying in Europe there is several opportunities at German Ebay.
    Several good people and careful owners whom respected their phone and this is shiny and intact, their selling them now and most bids stop at 100 Euro.

Two years ago I got my S5 from Germany with 240 Euro bid, just the phone and one 64GB memory card, the phone was legal & never repaired, and I got written receipt this verifying that I am the new owner of the specific phone / serial number.
    This receipt does not measure as warranty, but I requested it so to be able to retrieve my phone if ever be stolen and delivered to local police department.

This seller left speechless after such unique request but he did print and signed such receipt just for me.

16. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Jul 4, 2012
    Looking for a Job
    The Shire
    Keep it if it does what you want. Regarding replaceable batteries, I have several phones (Jellybean up to Marshmallow) wit replaceable batteries - currently used variously as satnav and running torque with an OBD-ii dongle and as IP security cams, or music player. I have a Huawei P8 Lite (2017) on Nougat 7.0 with a non replaceable battery (but at GBP129 it's cheap enough to junk when the battery dies) even though I hate the waste.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.