• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upgrade or service loss deadline approaching

Ever back button repeatedly when it seems stuck?

That is how I got a couple devices past that set-up crap.

No Google account is required.
I guess the next time I do it, I will record it.

Anyway, this thing with work e-mail is yet another reason in favor of multiple devices.
Work phone separate from personal phone.

Of course, there is Greenify and Island (I recommend FOSS versions, ask me) with which you can set up multiple accounts on a single device.

One would be your work profile, and the other would be your personal profile.

This basically makes one phone into two, so you should have a device with good memory to do it.
All necessary system apps will be copied, and the data not sharable between profiles.

This can also be used to keep 'big brother apps' at bay.

To me, this all became quite a confusing mess when I was testing apps and one version was installed in one profile and another version in the other profile- I could not uninstall one version because it had administrator priveliges, and it took forever to figure out which one it was and where.

It just seems overwhelming and much more simple to just have two totally separate devices.

Upvote 0
At this point in time, there is just as good a chance of finding a phone with root capability along with the other wants you list as there is of finding legitimate coverage of the moon landings.

If I see a device that peaks my interest I will get it and do as I stated above.

I know that it worked on this Moto e, and did not try it completely on my Android 11 TCL A3 because that is my gaming device- it still needs some Google poop.

However, I did/do use NoRoot to great effect by bloxking everything until the device was set up to my liking.

When I turned it loose, a ton of BS started downloading.
Luckily, I was able to either halt the installation or immediately uninstall before the apps were ever opened.

This made the device free from these pestilence apps (a 200MB Solitaire game? Really?) and I still maintain Google apps at their bare minimum without updates.

Disabling Google Play Store seems to be the biggest score in this battle.

So yes, to me and others it may well be worth my investment in a new device just to film me bypassing whatever I can and eliminating bloatware.

Just keep in mind that for this here Moto e, I spent the better part of 3 hours going through every app and permission for those apps.

I still wasn't done, of course, as day after day some overlooked crap would pop up.
This wss my first Motorola product in years, so I was unfamiliar with all of the 'assistant' apps that Moto uses.
That word - assistant - is now a bad word to me in the world of Android.

Upvote 0
You have NO navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen?!?

One is an arrow (back), one is a circle (home), and one is a hamburger (recents).
When I was setting up her g20? No, nothing. No back, no home, just a mandatory setup. And in the time it took from her entering her info into the phone, and me looking up the root process for it, it was already drive by pushing a a system update.

And now, looking for myself? There is no reason for me to even look at a phone that doesn't have a 5g radio. But the presence of a sealed battery just instantly kills the value proposition; every single time I've ever had a sealed battery phone, any thing I could have said positively about it, was erased the moment battery life was factored in.

Does anyone know anything about a... Xiaomi redmi note 10 5g? XDA seems to insist it's a poco something or other, but one of the threads about it referenced a CPU vulnerability that would grant an unlocked bootloader and root privileges. And for the asking price on amazon, it's the only thing with: SD slot, headphone jack, and 5g cellular support.

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Unloc...27-b20a-ab58d9c01d41&pd_rd_i=B09KDS2H9M&psc=1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Screenshot_20220620-224140.png

Upvote 0
I'll never understand why XDA has a monopoly on who can root what, at this rate. All it seems to do is just let them get lazy and then just conveniently yank or break links the moment I finally come across one that can be.

My G4 is now basically useless, entirely because I can't root or update it from its stupid factory ROM. My V20 is hanging on, thankfully. But for how much longer?

I went to Android from the start, because of how much more you can do with such, over an iPhone. Now the makers are chasing the iPhone harder and idiots eat that crap right up and ask for more. it's insane!

The last time I tried to settle with a sealed battery phone, was the moto x pure, as recommended by this very forum. And in no uncertain terms, that thing was a royal turd entirely because it's battery was so insufferably bad. It shouldn't be too much to ask to not have to relive that nightmare for the rest of my literal life.

Upvote 0
XDA has no control over what can be rooted.

It is only a forum where people that do such things can get together and broadcast their results.

The issue is that there are new devices every 6 months to a year, and after that everything else is now a decrepit piece of digital dinosaur dung waiting for the battery to die so that the thing can fossilize.

Most of what is rootable takes some time for the method to be found.

Not to mention that the device must both be popular enough and have good enough specs for any developer to even begin to bother about rooting it.

With most devices basically dying after 2 years on average, it just seems to be not worth it to put forth this sort of effort.

Upvote 0
XDA has no control over what can be rooted.
The way the rest of the internet acts? They most certainly do.

Can't even *look* at an oukitel brand phone, even if it had the bands to support a neteork here, entirely because XDA won't even take the time of day.

That xiaomi was the only thing on the list that seemed to have a legitimate root method, but XDA keeps insisting on calling it something else. And because of that, I can't be sure if I can root it or not.

And unfortunately, popular now means something designed for morons that never even leave the range of a wall outlet, let alone a WiFi hotspot. Which of course is incompatible with my work or play. Used to be, you could buy a galaxy s3 for $400, pay $60 for a zero lemon battery, and have three to four days of charge without compromise; and get closer to a week with tuned ROM's.

Now flagships want four digits for a thing that can't even give you thirty literal minutes of battery life per charge on a good day and has to be locked down more than Stalin's USSR to even get an hour of use.

Upvote 0
Whelp.

No apparent problems with the SIM... but still having the situation where, if I'm trying to log on to my work credentials, be it at home or on a district computer, the now required 2FA is inconsitent with if I even get the verification text or call at all. Sometimes it still doesn't show up even if I reboot the phone.

Thing is, I'm literally not seeing anything worth having, much less worth paying money for, being made anywhere.

Why is the US phone market so trash? Seriously.

Upvote 0
I hate 2FA.
So inconvenient.

I have a harder time getting into my own account than a hacker would.

Anyway, just use Dingtone to have the codes, numbers, or messages sent to your phone.

I still use Dingtone when I set up accounts (Telegram, etc.) and if I have to do something annoying like that, I get the message via another app altogether.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones