• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade Pricing Questions

CharlieD

Jun 2, 2010
Greece, NY
www.dennett.org
I currently have a DINC with Verizon and am eligible for a discounted upgrade along with a $30 loyalty (NE2) discount. I'm considering the RAZR MAXX (first choice) or one of the other RAZR models. So, I first went to the Verizon Wireless website and did not log in. I found the following prices for these phone with a 2 yr contract:

MAXX 299.99
16G 199.99
32G 249.99

I then logged in to my account and checked the same phones:

MAXX 249.99
16G 199.99 - 30 = 169.99
32G 249.99 - 30 = 219.99

Several questions here. Why the $50 difference on the MAXX? Why no similar difference on the other two models? Why is the $30 loyalty discount only listed on the two regular models and not the MAXX? Could I get the MAXX for an additional $30 less bringing the price to 219.99?

A related upgrade question. I'm on a family plan with my wife. I have the primary line. We are both eligible for an upgrade. We both have smartphones. I'm grandfathered in on the data plan, she is not. If I were to upgrade now and get a new 2 year contract but my wife did not want to upgrade at the same time, would she still have her upgrade coming to her with the new contract? If so, what happens if she decides to upgrade, say, 6 months from now? Do we get another 2 year contract starting at that point?

Thanks,
Charlie

I currently have a DINC with Verizon and am eligible for a discounted upgrade along with a $30 loyalty (NE2) discount. I'm considering the RAZR MAXX (first choice) or one of the other RAZR models. So, I first went to the Verizon Wireless website and did not log in. I found the following prices for these phone with a 2 yr contract:

MAXX 299.99
16G 199.99
32G 249.99

I then logged in to my account and checked the same phones:

MAXX 249.99
16G 199.99 - 30 = 169.99
32G 249.99 - 30 = 219.99

Several questions here. Why the $50 difference on the MAXX? Why no similar difference on the other two models? Why is the $30 loyalty discount only listed on the two regular models and not the MAXX? Could I get the MAXX for an additional $30 less bringing the price to 219.99?
When I upgraded my son's line to a D4 it was $50 off/less than some other phones, I am not sure why but didn't question it either...seemed like a deal to me.

A related upgrade question. I'm on a family plan with my wife. I have the primary line. We are both eligible for an upgrade. We both have smartphones. I'm grandfathered in on the data plan, she is not. If I were to upgrade now and get a new 2 year contract but my wife did not want to upgrade at the same time, would she still have her upgrade coming to her with the new contract? If so, what happens if she decides to upgrade, say, 6 months from now? Do we get another 2 year contract starting at that point?
The contracts are per line. When you upgrade it's 2 years for you and when she upgrades it's 2 years for her. The contract end date and the upgrade date don't have to match, I don't think any of the lines I have are even close in dates. Each line has a separate 2 year contract and then each phone has an upgrade date, she could go another 2 years and end up off contract but still be eligible for a discounted upgrade price. When she upgrades her contract starts again.

Upvote 0
The contracts are per line. When you upgrade it's 2 years for you and when she upgrades it's 2 years for her. The contract end date and the upgrade date don't have to match, I don't think any of the lines I have are even close in dates. Each line has a separate 2 year contract and then each phone has an upgrade date, she could go another 2 years and end up off contract but still be eligible for a discounted upgrade price. When she upgrades her contract starts again.

Even on the family plan?

Upvote 0
Yes. Here are the dates for my lines:

Me/primary; upgrade date is 3/7/13, contract end date is 7/7/13
Line 2; upgrade date is 2/26/12, contract end date is 6/26/12
Line 3; upgrade date is 6/3/13, contract end date is 10/3/13
Line 4; upgrade date is 10/10/13, contract end date is 2/10/14
Line 5 is totally off contract and has been eligible for an upgrade for about a year.

They are all on the same family plan.

Reactions: CharlieD
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones