1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Upgrade question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EZGravy, May 2, 2012.

1. EZGravy

EZGravy Lurker
    None

May 2, 2012
    Hello everyone!

Newbie here planning to buy the Note but I am confused about the ICS upgrade as it pertains to the International version of the Note as opposed to the US version. Can both be upgraded to ICS? For some reason, I'm thinking the buttons (physical as opposed to capactive) may have some bearing on this.

Also, any pros/cons that are not obvious regarding the US vs. International models. I've read quite a bit but am still undecided.

Thanks!
    EZ

Advertisement

2. RaLeX

RaLeX Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 23, 2012
    Both will be upgraded to ICS, the n7000 will get it first since AT&T will have to get their grubby little mits on it before they put it out to the i717.

I did my 30 day trial with the i717 (AT&T) and loved it, decided to send it back and go with n7000 (international) mainly to be off-contract, but also because from what I read it was a little smoother, a little better on battery life, some built-in features like video editor and no at&t bloatware.

After using this one for a couple weeks I've noticed that it's definitely smoother UI and battery life is definitely better (no 4G), plus I should be getting the option to upgrade to ICS very soon. Much sooner than if I would've kept the AT&T version.

One word of warning, since it is unlocked/international, there's some things you have to do to set it up and get it working right that you'll find by doing a search on xda forums. Specifically setting up your Access Point Names with your appropriate data plan and disabling fast dormancy. It's been a little frustrating as sometimes data stops working and I have to re-do it. There's also a million different ways to set up your APN, so you'll have to find the one that works for you.

3. EZGravy

EZGravy Lurker
    None

May 2, 2012
    Thanks for the info!