1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support upgrade sd card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dgodwin1, Jun 28, 2011.

1. dgodwin1

dgodwin1 Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    I'm trying to upgrade my sd card, but I use app2sd. I just copied all the files on my original sd card to the new one, but when I mount the new card, the apps on the sd card are missing. Any suggestions? Using a macbook to copy sd cards.

Advertisement

2. bac22

bac22 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    Try formatting the new SD card in the phone first. Then try copying your files over. I'm not familiar with Mac's so it's possible the Mac's are changing the extension of the file names which the Android doesn't recognize so doesn't show the files.

dgodwin1 likes this.
  3. AmishFury

AmishFury Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    as i understand mac and linux work the same way in what files and folders are treated as "hidden" (anything beginning with .) so unless you're showing hidden files you would not have copied over the files in .android_secure which happens to be where apps that are moved to SD are kept

dgodwin1 and AndyOpie150 like this.
  4. dgodwin1

dgodwin1 Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    pretty sure it was because of the hidden files. I even looked through the finder options, but didn't see any. One quick google search and some terminal code made them appear, and copy over just fine. Solved the problem. Thanks!

5. ho_

ho_ Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    So, after searching though the forums, this has been the most helpful of threads.

But, unfortunately, I'm still having issues. Going from the stock 2GB MicroSD to a 8GB MicroSDHC.

Did the whole, unhide all files, copied to folder on my computer, format new SD on phone, copy files to phone, fail fail whale.

Any other suggestions before I start manually installing the apps again? I'm on a MBP with Snow.

Thank you,

6. koopakid08

koopakid08 Android Expert
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Behind you
    Try making a folder for you SD card. Copy all the contents of your old SD card with hidden folders shown to that folder. Plug in you new SD card to the computer and copy everything in that folder to your new SD card and put it in your phone. This worked for me on windows. I have not use a mac for any long period of time but I think that this should work.

yogi-4 likes this.
  7. ho_

ho_ Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Did exactly that... Hidden files and all... Sad apples, I'll try it again, thanks for your help.

8. ho_

ho_ Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Happy Happy Days. I got it to work out. Thought I'd share my solution since it was the one thing that was screwing me over.

Formatting the card on the phone never worked because it would create it's own .android_secure on the SD card after the badboy was formatted. The .android_secure of course, is a hidden file, which can be unhidden by doing a Terminal command.

Here lies the problem, as a hidden file, my Mac wouldn't allow me to replace it. So, checking the disk format (FAT32), I used Disk Utility to do my own wipe, thus riding me of .android_secure. That way, I could add my own .android_secure to it.

My mistake was running a format using Optimus prior to copying stuff over, but I think .android_secure was created the moment the card was mounted, thus requiring me to format it while it was in the phone through Disk Utility.

Or maybe I'm just super special and this happend to only me. :p Life's a mystery. Thank you guys for your help!

yogi-4 likes this.
Tags: