• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

upgrade straight from Android 10 to 12

and200cc

Feb 15, 2021
My Galaxy Tab S7 currently has Android 10 and I would like to upgrade it to Android 12. When I check Software update (through my device settings), it offers Android 11 for download; but I'm expecting Android 12 update instead because Android 12 update is out there for about 5 months for my device model and region.

Will Software update offer Android 12 update to be downloaded and installed straight on my existing Android 10 (I'm asking because they are not consecutive versions)? Or I need to update to Android 11 before I can get 12?

I don't know how Software update goes through the update from 10 to 12. Should I still wait for Software update to eventually offer 12 on my existing Android 10 or I should update to 11 and then hopefully (if it offers) to 12. If I update my device to Android 11 but then Software update doesn't offer me Android 12, I will be really disappointed because I would like to keep Android 10 if cannot get Android 12. I hope you've realized my concern.

Please guide me in this regard.

Last edited:
Most updates are patches, i.e. only contain the things that are being replaced, and so have to be installed in sequence.

In any event if it's only offering 11 you will have to install that to know whether 12 is available.

but Android 11 and 12 updates are supposed to be major updates that replace the whole system unlike patches; and so I think it is technically possible to offer Android 12 on existing 10.

Upvote 0
The way I see it you have two choices. 1) stick with Android 10. 2) update to Android 11 and then see if you get Android 12. I am no expert on Android operating systems but it seems each update brings system patches, configurations, installs codes, etc.
Is it possible to skip an Android O.S system probably. But then you might run the risk of installing an Android O.S that for whatever reason isn't compatible with your device because your device doesn't have the right codes, patches or whatever. So now you have a device that might run okay with the occasional problem or you might find your self with a device that becomes a night mare, your rebooting, factory resetting your tablet constantly.
As I said I am no expert on Android systems

Reactions: and200cc
Upvote 0
Perhaps. But even if they are full firmware updates do we know that they'll remove the usual requirement for sequential installation? I've never waited out an entire major update cycle, so can't speak from experience here. But if the update has been available for your device, model and region for 5 months, and there is no other obstacle (such as buying through a service provider who might modify the software) that would delay it further, and yet you are still not being offered the update, my guess would be that they are making it sequential.

Anyway, what is so bad about Android 11 that you'd prefer 10 if you can't get 12? I've no experience of Samsung's versions of either (the Pixel versions were rather similar to my mind).

Upvote 0
The way I see it you have two choices. 1) stick with Android 10. 2) update to Android 11 and then see if you get Android 12. I am no expert on Android operating systems but it seems each update brings system patches, configurations, installs codes, etc.
Is it possible to skip an Android O.S system probably. But then you might run the risk of installing an Android O.S that for whatever reason isn't compatible with your device because your device doesn't have the right codes, patches or whatever. So now you have a device that might run okay with the occasional problem or you might find your self with a device that becomes a night mare, your rebooting, factory resetting your tablet constantly.
As I said I am no expert on Android systems

My device runs smoothly with Android 10 and no performance issue but I want some of the new features of Android 12. Android 11 and 12 are supposed to be major updates that replace the whole system unlike patches; so I think it is technically possible that Software update offers Android 12 on existing 10! But it seems, in my case, waiting more for skipping Android 11 update is useless!

Upvote 0
Perhaps. But even if they are full firmware updates do we know that they'll remove the usual requirement for sequential installation? I've never waited out an entire major update cycle, so can't speak from experience here. But if the update has been available for your device, model and region for 5 months, and there is no other obstacle (such as buying through a service provider who might modify the software) that would delay it further, and yet you are still not being offered the update, my guess would be that they are making it sequential.

Anyway, what is so bad about Android 11 that you'd prefer 10 if you can't get 12? I've no experience of Samsung's versions of either (the Pixel versions were rather similar to my mind).

Anyway, what is so bad about Android 11 that you'd prefer 10 if you can't get 12?
I checked my mom's phone with Android 11 and noticed that it doesn't have features such as Protect battery (pauses charging at 85%), Sleeping and Deep sleeping apps, etc. in the way Android 10 and 12 have. My dad has the same model but with Android 12 and his phone has Protect battery and Deep sleeping apps. By the way, my cellphone is Android 12 and would be a good match if my tablet also gets 12.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but Android 11 and 12 updates are supposed to be major updates that replace the whole system unlike patches; and so I think it is technically possible to offer Android 12 on existing 10.

If you want to keep your files and apps in place then you'll have to upgrade sequentially on the phone, however Samsung released them. If you are okay with doing a full wipe of everything (one your important data is backed up ... to multiple locations), you could see if Samsung's Smart Switch will let you do an emergency recovery (or whatever they call it now) to 12, if it's available for your model. If I remember correctly, to use the smart switch recovery you'll need both your phone's serial number and imei.

Personally I think it would be less of a hassle just to go through the upgrade to 11 and then to 12.

Reactions: Hadron and and200cc
Upvote 0
If you want to keep your files and apps in place then you'll have to upgrade sequentially on the phone, however Samsung released them. If you are okay with doing a full wipe of everything (one your important data is backed up ... to multiple locations), you could see if Samsung's Smart Switch will let you do an emergency recovery (or whatever they call it now) to 12, if it's available for your model. If I remember correctly, to use the smart switch recovery you'll need both your phone's serial number and imei.

Personally I think it would be less of a hassle just to go through the upgrade to 11 and then to 12.

All these answers are the best and suit to my question but I can only mark one as Best answer.

Upvote 0
I checked my mom's phone with Android 11 and noticed that it doesn't have features such as Protect battery (pauses charging at 85%), Sleeping and Deep sleeping apps, etc. in the way Android 10 and 12 have. By the way, my cellphone is Android 12 and would be a good match if my tablet also gets 12.
Was your mum's phone also a Samsung? That setting wasn't available on my Pixel 2 under Android 10 or 11, but was introduced in one of their updates last Summer (after the Pixel 2 stopped getting updates), and many reports say it was new for Samsung devices in android 12. Hence if your device has it in android 10 that may be a device-specific feature, in which case you'd need someone with a Tab S7 to tell you whether it was available in Android 11 (it would seem odd to remove it if you have it in Android 10, but I've seen more than one manufacturer do odd things in my time).

Upvote 0

All these answers are the best and suit to my question but I can only mark one as Best answer.

Upvote 0
Was your mum's phone also a Samsung? That setting wasn't available on my Pixel 2 under Android 10 or 11, but was introduced in one of their updates last Summer (after the Pixel 2 stopped getting updates), and many reports say it was new for Samsung devices in android 12. Hence if your device has it in android 10 that may be a device-specific feature, in which case you'd need someone with a Tab S7 to tell you whether it was available in Android 11 (it would seem odd to remove it if you have it in Android 10, but I've seen more than one manufacturer do odd things in my time).

I confirm that my Tab S7 (SM-T875) with Android 10 has Protect battery in the normal device settings but not sure if this is a Samsung-specific feature or originally from Android OS.

Edit: To be more specific, that feature is available in Samsung Device care that is accessible from the normal device settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones