1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Upgrade time, How to sell Captivate?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tw557, Sep 22, 2011.

1. tw557

tw557 Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    My contract time is almost up and time to jump to the latest and greatest. I assume I will be looking mostly at the S2. I jumped into the android scene mid contract by buying a craigslist captivate about 6 months ago to see is iphone or android was the way to go. Plenty happy with the android system.
    My concern is how to sell phone safely. This phone came to me rooted and seemingly somewhat clean. I don't know what the best way to sell would be. It would be great to sell with the installed apps to someone but don't want security issues. Also I heard that factory reset on a rooted phone could brick it. So I'm just looking for some good advice on the best method to clean the phone of any personal data. Thanks, Tim

Advertisement

2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    factory reset on a rooted phone wont brick it. so i would do that, then plug it into a computer in mass storage mode and check to make sure there is nothing of yours left on it. it will remove all the apps but its just the best way to go. they can re download them anyway

3. yahoowizard

yahoowizard Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    I'd unlock it too, that's a really big plus to sell it with...

4. tw557

tw557 Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    Will the factory reset undo the rooting? I can do some searching but what is the best method for unlocking if any of you guys know. I assume factory reset takes all the apps and such off the phone too? Thanks,

5. yahoowizard

yahoowizard Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    Isn't there an application to unlock the phone, like Galaxy S Unlock or something like that? I don't remember which one it was, but it worked. Not sure if the phone has to be rooted first, though...

6. smashed

smashed Newbie
    None

Sep 20, 2011
    IT Consultant -
    Santa Monica,CA
    Factory reset will not unroot your phone. There are seperate scripts that needed to be run to do that.
    Android apps are attached to your gmail account. When you hard reset, all this info is erased from the phone. However, you can resign to another device, and redownload all these apps...they wil be listed under 'My apps' in the market. You can redownload even the paid ones.

The best way to unlock a GSM phone is to call the carrier.In this case it might not work, since you are not the original owner. ..Best of luck