• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade time, How to sell Captivate?

tw557

Lurker
May 11, 2011
My contract time is almost up and time to jump to the latest and greatest. I assume I will be looking mostly at the S2. I jumped into the android scene mid contract by buying a craigslist captivate about 6 months ago to see is iphone or android was the way to go. Plenty happy with the android system.
My concern is how to sell phone safely. This phone came to me rooted and seemingly somewhat clean. I don't know what the best way to sell would be. It would be great to sell with the installed apps to someone but don't want security issues. Also I heard that factory reset on a rooted phone could brick it. So I'm just looking for some good advice on the best method to clean the phone of any personal data. Thanks, Tim

Factory reset will not unroot your phone. There are seperate scripts that needed to be run to do that.
Android apps are attached to your gmail account. When you hard reset, all this info is erased from the phone. However, you can resign to another device, and redownload all these apps...they wil be listed under 'My apps' in the market. You can redownload even the paid ones.

The best way to unlock a GSM phone is to call the carrier.In this case it might not work, since you are not the original owner. ..Best of luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones