• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade to 12 on 5a cannot turn off animation

bulgin

Lurker
Feb 21, 2017
Hello, I have a pixel 5a. Right after updating to 12 I noticed a feature included that will definitely have me dropping all google phones unless I can be remediate it. This is the problem: previously opening an app, any app and then closing an app, any app, the app would just close and it's associated icon would just quietly go back to it's position on the screen without this newly-introduced zooming/shrinking back into place (like all iPhone icons do). It gives me eye fatigue and is annoying that every app I now open, when I close it it does this fancy sweeping back down into position. I think this is called animation and it is horrid. Disabling all animation in the developer options does not turn this off.
Is there some secret way to turn this off as I cannot find any setting in the settings to do so.
Thanks.

I no longer have a Pixel (not because of this, but because my Pixel 2's battery became too unreliable and this year's Pixels are just too big), so I can't answer on the Pixel software itself. But here are a couple of general Android things you can try:

1) Look in your "accessibility" settings and see whether there is an option there to disable/remove animations.

2) Use a different "launcher". The launcher is the app that provides your desktops and app drawer. All phones come with one pre-installed, but you can use a different one if you prefer, and different launchers have different options. The one I use (Nova launcher) has an option to disable animations in its settings, and I'm sure many others do too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones