• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help upgrade to 2.2 - not OTA - warranty

I'm considering to buy a Samsung Galaxy S. It's not available in our country so I'll get an international version via Amazon (no warranty) or buy it in The Netherlands (probably = international + 2 year factory warranty).

So this means I won't have access to any OTA upgrades right because from what I understand, your local carrier has to SPECIFICALLY support a particular phone for this service, correct?

Now, if I download Android 2.2 ,does this mean I automatically have to get an ROM upgrade? It's NOT like say upgrading a Wordpress installation which takes like a minute and is painless?

And, does it void the warranty of the Galaxy when one does this?

phones roll out with new systems (like 2.2) as updates. if you update using OTA (go to settings-about phone- update) or from the official software provided with the phone (motorola update centre, htc home, etc) you don't break any waranty. but if you replace the ROM in any other way you break the seals.
only Root your phone when you think your'e a developer. if you are a normal user just keep the official stuff

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones