1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Upgrade to Ginger Fresh w/ DE03 baseband?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mbrinkho, May 30, 2011.

1. mbrinkho

mbrinkho Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    I've been thinking about upgrading my GF's Moment to the Ginger fresh ROM and I was wondering if I need to do any interim steps before booting to recovery and installing it from there. Her Moment has android system recovery 3.1.1, noobni Radioactive FroYo v1.8.22, baseband S:M900.8.0S.DE03, Kernel 2.6.29 and MeatKernel v2.0.9 SDX-Developers.

It's been a long time since I rooted the thing originally and I'm concerned that I might have stuff that's too old to do a direct upgrade - my specific concern is that the baseband is DE03. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

2. HeadlessPonch

HeadlessPonch Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Des Moines, IA
    There are a few people running various versions of EB28 with baseband DE03 without any problems. My concern is that's a pretty old version of noobl's rom being your base. I'd flash the stock DJ07 (which of course would then give you baseband DJ07), then Recovery 3.1.1, then the basic EB28 and a kernal (flash both of those before booting to system!), then the Ginger Fresh rom after that.

3. mbrinkho

mbrinkho Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    I don't suppose you might be willing to lend a hand in the exact procedure I'll need to undertake would you?

4. someguyatx

someguyatx Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    You can flash gingerfresh on top of DJ07 with recovery. Basically follow steps 1-5 from here [HOW TO] Get Deodexed Rooted Stock DJ07 & BEYOND!

directions: Charge battery to full, flash stock DJ07, flash recovery, copy gingerfresh.zip to sdx folder go into recovery mode and run the zip. The first time will take 5 or more minutes to boot and the splash screen will keep repeating, dont panic unless its stuck for 10+ minutes or freezes

I'm running gingerfresh V 1.2 right now best rom I have used on this phone yet. Everything works great except the gps. All eb28 roms seem to have gps issues though so I might go back to DL25 or even DJ07 :thinking:

5. mbrinkho

mbrinkho Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Not sure if this changes things or not but it put an update on last night and now the baseband is S:M900.8.0S.DI06.

6. 240phil

240phil Member
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    couldn't have put it any better myself.

stepping up from noobl's old roms is a HUGE step. It can be done, but some people end up with major problems.
    back up your apps and data. Flash a legit copy of DJ07.
    flash recovery,
    then eb28 1.1 (it is the stepping stone EB28, so it is very plain and basic)
    and your kernal
    Then go back and flash the better version of recovery, called clockwork recovery.
    Then flash a full version of a ROM, like ginger fresh, or keylime, or anything really.
    enjoy the badassness.
    then you can go in and change the file system from RFS to EXT and enjoy a significant speed boost.

From there, enjoy the phone as it will function pretty much the way you thought it should when you first bought it.

7. 240phil

240phil Member
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    if you still need help, hit me up, Not the first time I've helped someone via e-mail and IM.

every phone is different.
    EB28 is the only thing that made my GPS work.

if you are having problems, there are many many GPS fixes out there.
    hit up the SDX forums and check some of them out.
    I don't know your particular rom very well to even know if it included the common GPS fixes, so you might need to start with the basics first.

8. someguyatx

someguyatx Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Yeah I'm on SDX a lot mostly lurking and have tried so many that I effed things up so I went to DL05 Beta 6 then flashed Gingerfresh and minimal theme no CIQ and got a gps lock last night multiple times. Not having as good of luck today with GPS but it was working.

Samsung Moment

The Samsung Moment was one of the first Android Phones with a slideout keyboard.