1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General upgrade to thunderbolt or wait for sensation?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by katoom400, Apr 14, 2011.

1. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    coming off the original droid, just wondering what you guys think?

should I wait, or is the thunderbolt that much better than the original droid that I should take the leap...

I know every few months something better will come along, so should I hold out for the sensation???

Advertisement

2. SPD

SPD Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    I would grab the TB. I love this phone and verizon. I personally would not jump ship to tmobile just for the sensation. A phone's only as good as the network your on. Plus LTE>>All

redraider1 likes this.
  3. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
    Friends don't let friends go to T-mobile.

jj3699, EgoDogg, CyberPitz and 4 others like this.
  4. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    sorry, should have mentioned I'm not in a 4g area, so at this point I would be switching phones to get better hardware...def not going to tmobile. Verizon is the strongest carrier in my area...

I guess I was mis-informed that the sensation would be coming to Verizon this summer?

5. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    There are some even higher end phones coming out for VZW in the next month or two. Moto Bionic, Samsung Charge, and Samsung galaxy s2. Take a look into those phones and you might find something you like. My GF is looking to retire her blackberry but I told her to wait for the galaxy s2 instead of getting the same phone as me.

6. Magnus_CA

Magnus_CA Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    Friends also don't let friends (or their girlfriends) buy Samsung.

7. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I too was coming from the OG Droid. Let me tell you the TB is a HUGE leap forward (and that is saying something because I LOVED my Droid). The TB is faster bigger and just does more. It is definetly worth a look, but like everyone said if you can wait then there a couple new phones comeing down the pipe. I will say that the reason I went with the TB is because I wanted an HTC and I wanted to be able to root and rom and not have to work around an encrypted bootloader.

8. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Lol, I like Sense UI the best but the specs on the galaxy s2 are just too sexy to pass up. The phone is also the thinnest phone by far out there which is good for a girl. Plus I live with her and don't want to see two of the same phones in the appt.

9. redraider1

None

Mar 15, 2011
    Yeah well with samsung they most likely wont update the phone so specs or no specs if you dont get updates better like it how it is when it is released. The sensation isnt coming to verizon(atleast it wasnt announced or on their roadmap)

10. Magnus_CA

Magnus_CA Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    So size does matter after all?

11. nkd

nkd Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    I would wait for the evo 3d if you wanna jump ship. The thought of ATT taking over T mobile scares the hell out of me. Most of my friends have Sprint and evo, and they seem to love it. Plus if you live in good coverage area I would go for evo 3d

12. oresteez

oresteez Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Galaxy S 2 probably won't be out for about 6 months.
    The Charge doesn't look all that impressive...its about the same as the TB and its Samsung...so that's a big negative.
    The Bionic is the only real competition right now, and that release date is so far up in the air...

I have the OG Droid too. I just rooted it and will play with custom ROMS to get me by... I'll see what happens first: Tiered data or the Bionic comes out of hiding. If tiered data comes first, I'll probably buy a TB.

13. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Galaxy S2 has been straight owning the speed tests as of late, making other smartphones look like complete noobs. Say what you will about samsung's UI but the phone itself is a beast no question.

redraider1 likes this.
  14. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    Awesome!:D

15. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    What good are Samsung phones if they wont update it? You might be looking at over a year before they even release gingerbread for them. I would rather have better update support from other phones like the Bolt.

16. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    The bionic with a locked bootloader... not a big deal for some but I won't buy another Motorola device as long as this policy exists.

The bolt is going to have better support near EOL than the bionic.

17. a320ca

a320ca Newbie
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    USA
    Just left the Atrix for the Bolt and couldn't be happier. :D I too will never own another Motorola and will never be back with AT&T. Poor voice quality, locked down tight bootloader and 2-3g speeds for an advertised and heavily promoted 4g device! :mad: I'm tired of poor quality, being lied to and endlessly strung along all the while on a pathetic network (and they wonder why so many reviewers and analysts are now proclaiming the Atrix a dismal flop).

The Bolt rocks!

redraider1 and xkingofgodzx like this.
  18. Kori_Tamashii

Kori_Tamashii Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Being insane is a full time job.
    La Vista, NE
    I don't have much of a choice - T-Mobile isn't available where I live, and even though 4G won't be here until 'sometime before the end of this year', I went for the Bolt. Even if T-Mobile were an option, I think I'd still stick with the Bolt.

19. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

Recent leaks suggest they went as far as cancelling the Bionic for VZW...wow that's crazy this far into the game. Reports say the phone was not playing nice on VZW's LTE network, and that overheating was an issue as well. MOTO is is danger of being a major flop in 2011....crappy Atrix sales, crappy xoom sales, and now a canceled LTE phone...whew, not good at all.

20. johnchad14

johnchad14 Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    As a TB owner, my first instinct is to tell you to jump on it. My 2nd thought is that you still have an original droid this long, so maybe waiting a bit longer for a next gen phone is worth it.

Seems we are on the cusp of a leap forward in screen resolution and processor capabilities for all phone mfrs, and if you are not one of those people always wanting to upgrade and plan on using the phone 2 years+, you may be better served waiting on that next step forward. Though the sensation itself will not come to verizon as that is a T-mobile branded item, a similar phone on verizon is inevitable...probably late this year.

On the OTHER hand, there is an entirely different line of thought that a 4G phone should be purchased while they still offer unlimited data at the same price in hopes that that plan can be grandfathered into the future. This factored largely into me grabbing a TB now, but in life there are no real guarantees...

21. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    Alleged cancelled phone. Love how a rumor starts and people takes it as the gospel. For all you know verizon dont want the phone and they are looking to see if one of the other carriers want to take it. THis is why its called a rumor. Its not to be taken seriously. THis is no differnet that launch dates and OS upgrades. We have heard how many different rumored dates over the years?

To the OP the Bolt is far superior to the OG Droid in so many ways. At the same time there are newer phones slated for release that will blow the bolt away. If you need to lock grandfather clause in for unlimited 4g? Then you can get the bolt and if a better phone comes out in 14 days you can switch the bolt for the other phone. I am happy with my bolt and glad I got it.

In the end its up to you to decide which phone you choose. After all you have to use it day in and day out and not us.

redraider1 likes this.
  22. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    skip on Moto phones in general, for the reasons listed above, and that includes the Bionic

redraider1 likes this.
  23. sevenstars

None

Dec 16, 2009
    and you'll get an infraction. WTF? Infractions? Wh
    supercilious, condescending douche bag, and hide i
  24. Little Green Robot

Little Green Robot Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    If you have sprint coverage, I would get the Evo 3D. It is the same specs as the Sensation with the added 3D screen and cameras. I love the Bolt, but to be honest, its internals, besides the LTE are already dated.

25. redraider1

None

Mar 15, 2011
    They already said that isnt true and they didnt cancel the bionic.